Talk

Advanced search

Oh dear, why do they have to be so old-fashioned?

(110 Posts)
LaVolcan Sun 05-Jul-15 18:17:36

Looking at the pictures of Princess Charlotte's Christening - the replica christening gown I have no problem with, but using the same pram that the Queen used for Charles and Anne, and William dressed up the same as his grandfather would have been at his sister's Christening? Why?

AnyoneForTennis Sun 05-Jul-15 18:55:33

You say 'old fashioned' but I might say 'traditional'.

Do you mock other cultures for their choice of clothing or transport at their religious ceremonies?

Andcake Sun 05-Jul-15 19:00:10

I was just saying to DP how freakish it was - btw he wasn't interested at all and said they were freaks for being royals.

The copy cat outfits. This is something new I'm sure other generations of royals didn't do it. But even so making a thing out of royal weddings and christening so only really dates back to Victoria anyway.

Tbh I think they are just trying to drum up support from the daily mail readers for doing it!

LaVolcan Sun 05-Jul-15 19:04:14

I wasn't aware that it was mockery. Charles, to me, comes across as an old fuddy-duddy, and I am a bit sad if his grand-children are going to be brought up in the same mould. The world has moved on in the last 65 years.

ssd Sun 05-Jul-15 19:05:47

what the bloody hell was little George wearing, it all looked ridiculous.

bittapitta Sun 05-Jul-15 19:06:01

The world has moved on but the royals haven't. Neither has the UK, still a monarchy!

SurlyCue Sun 05-Jul-15 19:09:18

William doesnt have a sister, i guess you mean George? I think he looks adorable. It's a traditional/classic look. The pram? I havent seen it but what is wrong with re-using a treasured family one? I would loved to have had my pram from when i was a baby for my DCs.

SurlyCue Sun 05-Jul-15 19:10:51

Fwiw charles wont be bringing up his grandchildren, he did bring up his own children though and they dont seem to be fuddy duddies.

LaVolcan Sun 05-Jul-15 19:11:16

When I referred to 'his sister' I was referring to Prince Charles and hence Princess Anne.

Bonsoir Sun 05-Jul-15 19:11:31

A Royal Christening is by definition a traditional affair and everyone involved has dressed the part.

It doesn't mean that William and Kate aren't modern parents.

TwerkingSpinster Sun 05-Jul-15 19:11:49

I hope you didn't get married in white op, or a turkey at Christmas. why are you shitting all over a young couples lovely day?

SurlyCue Sun 05-Jul-15 19:14:02

When I referred to 'his sister' I was referring to Prince Charles and hence Princess Anne.

Ah my mistake, i misinterpreted that line.

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Sun 05-Jul-15 19:15:11

willuam is just wearing a suit what else is the father of the baby meant to wear to a christening!

GoofyIsACow Sun 05-Jul-15 19:16:01

They looked lovely, all of them, beautifully groomed for a special day!

I am sure he owns some george at asda for shitting in

LaurieFairyCake Sun 05-Jul-15 19:17:36

I think they look great.

The red shorts and sensible start rite shoes on George looked lovely

Kate's cream dress/coat/hat was really pretty

Queenie looked fab in pink

Duchess of Cornwalls Blue outfit was very nice

The christening gown is no different to dozens of others ive seen

The only 'old fashioned' bit was the pram and that's only because they were walking about and the Norland nanny was taken a turn pushing it.

AnyoneForTennis Sun 05-Jul-15 19:18:31

Yeah... How do William and Harry look like they've been brought up by a 'fuddy duddy'?

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Sun 05-Jul-15 19:18:34

Really what's wrong?

noblegiraffe Sun 05-Jul-15 19:18:54

That lace gown thing just looks grubby, especially as Kate was wearing white.

LaVolcan Sun 05-Jul-15 19:19:03

Funnily enough, I did get married in white - although I wasn't too fussed about this myself, but it was to try to forestall a tantrum from future MIL which failed and I avoid turkey at Christmas.

But I didn't get married in a dress which was a copy of something my grandmother would have worn - although these day's you might, I suppose, it would now be classed as 'vintage'. And come to think, my grandmother wore blue, but it was war-time so women wore a nice dress which could be worn again, and men would tend to wear uniform.

I don't mind the couple having a Christening and enjoying themselves - I just don't see why they are pretending it's 1950. Will they be having the same food as they would in 1950, I wonder?

Wheelerdeeler Sun 05-Jul-15 19:21:01

It's the nanny uniform that got me. Like it's not 1950

usualsuspect333 Sun 05-Jul-15 19:21:09

Hahaha at him owning some Asda clothes. As if...

The pram looked like it belonged in a museum,as did Georges outfit.

SurlyCue Sun 05-Jul-15 19:21:28

William dressed up the same as his grandfather would have been at his sister's Christening?

Ah this is where my confusion came from, william's grandfather is phillip. I do think you meant george. George's outfit is a replica of one william wore at a similar age when he went to visit newborn harry. It isnt what his grandfather would have worn at his sister's christening.

GoofyIsACow Sun 05-Jul-15 19:21:33

The pram is gorgeous! How lovely to use something that has so much history and tradition within your own family on such a special day!

SirSpamalot Sun 05-Jul-15 19:21:49

I thought they dressed him like a 50s/60s throwback when he appeared in public so it was much easier for his nanny to take him out and about incognito.

Still... He's hardly likely to be dressed in jeans and a little hoodie, is he?

bodenbiscuit Sun 05-Jul-15 19:22:29

George is so like William at that age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now