Does anyone have cats that sleep in a shed etc?

(15 Posts)
huuuuunnnndderrricks Tue 22-Jun-21 08:08:10

Our cats are a nightmare, one sprays , one shouts at 3.30-5 am . I'm debating letting them move to the summer house and making that their home so they can come and go . At the moment they are in at night and awake ish in the day and that's how I have always had cats but it's causing problems . Also the two boys don't seem to like each other much despite being very close when they were kittens ( they are brothers ) . I don't want to the home them and I'm not banning them from the house or anything ( I live them ) but surely others having cats that are out at night is the same thing ?

OP’s posts: |
PandemicPalava Tue 22-Jun-21 08:46:36

Sounds like they need to be out at night prowling about. Cat flap or summer house sound ideal

Worldgonecrazy Tue 22-Jun-21 08:51:06

Do you have a cat flap? And are they both neutered? If a neutered male is spraying you may need to address root cause, there is a scent you can get which calms behaviours, can’t remember the name of it.

We have cat flaps throughout the house and into the shed and our cats will sometimes sleep in there if they want peace and quiet.

huuuuunnnndderrricks Tue 22-Jun-21 08:54:57

Yes both neutered early doors and we have tried everything .. I think it's the relationship between the brothers which upsets one of them or potentially other cats spraying around their front garden . We have feliway and tried everything available .
Have a cat flap but they are locked in at night as that's how we have always 'done ' cats during my life .. we had a lot as children .
I was going to get them heat mats and they have big beds ( dog ) that they love and sleep in.

PandemicPalava Tue 22-Jun-21 09:01:17

My cats were much happier when they could go out and about. They will be more tired during the day then too so more sleepy and less likely to fall out if they have exercise and space.

Fozzleyplum Tue 22-Jun-21 09:04:32

Our cats have a cat flap which is never locked, so they come and go as they please. When I was a child, we always put our cat out at night. He had a cat flap into our garden shed, where there was a barrel, on its side on bricks, and full of straw. He was very warm in there, even in Winter.

TheQueef Tue 22-Jun-21 09:05:42

One of mine sleeps in the wood hut.
She's old but stuck in her ways, I do micro heat pads when it's cold and she has a bed and some fleeces in there.
It stresses her too much being shut in.

Advertisement

huuuuunnnndderrricks Tue 22-Jun-21 12:00:49

Thanks .. I think I'll put their beds out there and see ho we go.. I think they will like being out at night to be honest . They are half Bengal and very tiger like .

BIWI Tue 22-Jun-21 12:02:19

I would definitely unlock the cat flap and let them come and go as they please.

huuuuunnnndderrricks Tue 22-Jun-21 21:40:09

So tonight I fed them and then let them out again with the cat flap open . Something I've never done with any cat throughout my life but we will see if they like and it makes pissy boy happier 🤣

huuuuunnnndderrricks Tue 22-Jun-21 21:42:01

I'm also worried they will get lost or run over because they don't really wander far from home in the day , I feel nighttime will be a different thing but I do genuinely a happy shorter life is better than a unhappy long one ..🙏🙈

BIWI Wed 23-Jun-21 08:58:42

Do you live on/near a busy road?

Unless it's really busy, chances are that at night it will be much quieter generally. If they don't wander far from home during the day, I'd be surprised if they do at night.

Cats are pretty good about running away from danger!

huuuuunnnndderrricks Wed 23-Jun-21 09:08:48

No .. not at all. It's just alien to me . I woke up at 5 and they weren't in their beds but came in happy when I went down to look for them . Both seem happier tonight .. just need to worry less ! 🙈

BIWI Wed 23-Jun-21 09:27:43

I know! It's hard not to worry. But the saying about cats having 9 lives must come from somewhere grin

Bichette Wed 23-Jun-21 09:32:30

Our cat flap is never locked, cat comes and goes as she pleases night or day, but we are very rural.
She was living as a stray before we adopted her so she is very independent.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in