Talk

Advanced search

Why does my cat bite me?

(5 Posts)
raffle Thu 11-Feb-21 19:51:12

We have an adult cat that we acquired when it needed a new home. She jumps up in the arm of the chair I’m sitting in and pushes her head on my arm.
I take this as an invitation to stroke her. Which she seems to enjoy for around 10 seconds, then she bites me!
It’s not hard, but not nice, and always makes me jump.

OP’s posts: |
Frequentlymisunderstood Thu 11-Feb-21 21:06:41

Owners often ask: 'Why does my cat bite me during petting or grooming? ' Cats generally groom one another in short, frequent bursts. People tend to interact less often, but for longer and with more intensity, so a nip is your cat's way of saying 'that's enough'

Try stroking in very short bursts and stop before she feels the need to bite. She may build up to accepting more stroking.

raffle Thu 11-Feb-21 21:08:20

Thank you. She doesn’t seem cross or give any warning. I’ll try 5 second bursts and see if that helps.

OP’s posts: |
Frequentlymisunderstood Thu 11-Feb-21 21:10:06

Mine can be purring away on my lap enjoying a stroke but, when she’s had enough, she’s had enough! Good luck.

Icequeen01 Thu 11-Feb-21 23:27:49

I always call them love bites! One of mine does this and it bloody hurts. I think he gets a bit over sensitised and then bites. He always looks a bit shocked after he's done it as though he wasn't expecting it himself!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in