Talk

Advanced search

cats bad toileting

(5 Posts)
Shehasadiamondinthesky Fri 22-Jan-21 12:52:24

So.....I'm on my 8th cat now. All the others, a mixture of feral and hard to home cats lived a long time and they've all passed away now, all of them darlings and I miss them so much.
My current cat is 20 this year, I adore Buns, she is such a wonderful cat (I had to change my user name recently for personal reasons but I've posted lots of pics on here of the old girl).
She has basically been a terrible toileter for 19 years.
She is the only cat and prefers it that way, she treads in her poo and walks it all over the house, goes outside to poo and walks it all over the house, goes behind the sofa if she wakes up in the night and can't make it to the litter tray and kicks litter from her two trays everywhere!!
I've spent every evening for the past 19 years cleaning up after her.
I feel I've really come to the end of my rope.
She is the only cat I've ever had that behaves like this. She has got better, she no longer pees on the sofa which she did when I first got her.
I love her madly and she's still fit and well and lives a good life but I've seriously run out of ideas for non messy toileting and because I'm so busy at work I just can't bear the though of coming home to deal with this (NHS).
There is no way on earth I'm going to have her PTS or rehomed, I love her like my own child but has anyone got any tips at all before I lose my marbles.
She has long term colitis and is on steroids on and off which don't help. The vet says he can't do any more.

OP’s posts: |
thecatneuterer Fri 22-Jan-21 15:47:41

Oh dear. You have certainly been more tolerant than most people would have been. I don't really have much in terms of suggestions. Can you put a lot of washable doormats and/or puppy training pads around the tray to at least catch the worst off the paws. And puppy training pads in other places she's likely to go. You've put up with it for 19 years so realistically you are not going to have to do so for too much longer. She must have some amazing other qualities for you to still love her as much as you obviously dosmile

Shehasadiamondinthesky Fri 29-Jan-21 11:11:52

I've solved the problem finally. I put newspaper in her tray. She doesn't seem to like cat litter. It needs changing twice a day but she doesn't step in it any more and prefers it to behind the sofa. Who knew! Saves a fortune of cat litter as well.

Shehasadiamondinthesky Fri 29-Jan-21 15:09:01

It was your comment about puppy pads that lit up a lightbulb - so thanks!!!! It worked.

thecatneuterer Fri 29-Jan-21 16:52:16

I'm pleased I manage to accidentally help. It's great that you've solved the problem.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in