Talk

Advanced search

Cat not right. Feline Hyperthyroidism?

(7 Posts)
sickcat Sun 03-Jan-21 12:16:13

Our cat is 14 years. Outdoor cat. She's lovely. Since Christmas she has lost an awful lot of weight but is constantly eating, stealing and generally meowing.
The past 48hours she looks dirty and unkempt.
We cannot afford a vet bill at the moment. The timing is absurd because we had to stop the pet insurance 4 months ago after never claiming anything in 13 years. I've been made redundant and we're eating through our savings.
I could absolutely cry.

OP’s posts: |
thecatneuterer Sun 03-Jan-21 12:20:11

If you are on benefits you can probably go to the PDSA or the Blue Cross. She will have to be seen. Thyroid can be treated with tablets - not too expensive. It could also be diabetes, cancer or many other things. It seems you still have savings. I'm afraid you need to eat through some more.

MargeryMcLatchie Sun 03-Jan-21 12:22:47

Sorry that your cat is unwell and that your financial situation is so precarious. However, you CANNOT withhold medical care from an obviously ill animal; you need to get the cat to the vet ASAP even if it means another bill going unpaid.
Assume you have looked into PDSA / RSPCA / other animal charities who may treat for free / cost price?

MargeryMcLatchie Sun 03-Jan-21 12:26:00

PS It was a mistake to let the insurance go; animals only get more expensive as the get older. No chance of reinstating it I assume?

sickcat Sun 03-Jan-21 18:07:03

I phoned our emergency vet sad we've got appt for tomorrow morning. It's not looking good. Vet is going to run some tests. I've explained our financial situation and he says he'll take this into consideration. He did mention the option to PTS. I'm absolutely heartbroken. Any other year and I'd just be worried about the cat and let the insurance deal with costs.

OP’s posts: |
MargeryMcLatchie Sun 03-Jan-21 18:40:06

Well done; will be thinking of you tomorrow!

Elzbells Sun 03-Jan-21 19:12:32

My 14 year old cat presented the same and it was hyperthyroidism.

The vet did blood tests which came to about £70 and then gave us tablets she takes twice a day. The difference in 5 months is amazing - she's completely back to normal. Don't let them fob you off with the syrup - didn't make any difference and cat suffered a month more than needed.

The tablets are £100 for about 6 weeks course but if you ask the vet for the prescription you can buy them cheaper online at £30 for 100.

Just to give you an idea of costs involved. Hope all goes well.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in