Talk

Advanced search

Should I get a younger cat?

(7 Posts)
PTW1234 Mon 07-Dec-20 20:48:08

We have an oldish cat (11?) and a small youngish dog (4.)

The dog and cat get on beautifully, does help that the cat is bigger than the dog and was here first! They even share a bed by choice.

However as the cat is getting older I feel like he is becoming less tolerable to the dogs energy!!

I am thinking of getting a younger cat, as a companion for dog. I would get another dog but they are a much bigger commitment and think this will stress older cat out more.

I am aware they will be some short term pain introducing a new cat, but ultimately thinking of getting a younger cat to companion with younger dog, so older cat can slink off into the background.

Is this a bonkers idea?

OP’s posts: |
Toilenstripes Mon 07-Dec-20 20:53:23

I wouldn’t do it. Your cat would most likely hate an energetic young cat and Why would you want current cat to slink off into the background? What an awful way to think. 😠

Roo1000 Mon 07-Dec-20 20:53:50

It quite possibly is bonkers. If they get on so well i personally wouldn’t introduce another animal. The chances are the new kitten/cat will not get on with the dog or older cat and will be isolated by itself instead. I have both cats and dogs and experience of this. The older cat won’t just slink off into the background...my 20 year old cat is still as dominant as ever!! I would seriously consider not doing this for the sake of the new cat.

Wolfiefan Mon 07-Dec-20 20:58:00

I wouldn’t get a cat as a companion to a dog! 11 isn’t old.

PTW1234 Mon 07-Dec-20 21:07:16

We don’t really know how old he is, this is best guesstimates from the vet. He is very grey and just wants to sleep these days. He was very obese and I don’t think treated very well before we homed him, so his 11 is probably old for him health wise.

I have noticed in the last 6 months he is declining the dogs offer to play, a few swipes have been made (just warnings nothing genuinely aggressive).

Good point on the new cat not liking the dog, I have confidence my dog will like the cat as he is desperate to play with next doors (they run away!)

SlightDelay Mon 07-Dec-20 21:10:47

Thats sweet. I vote yes because i read on cats and getting opposite sex or younger is supposed to be ok with existing cats. I would get 1+ years old not a kitten though.

PTW1234 Mon 07-Dec-20 21:21:43

I agree not a kitten, my dog would probably be too enthusiastic with a kitten play mate, I wfh so can keep an eye on any introductions.

I am really 50-50 on the idea. I love our cat and he has had a few health scares, so I do think he would like to just retire now.

I was thinking getting old cat a new bed that only he is allowed to sleep in, possibly one of those radiator beds, he is currently on my lap with dog by my feet grin

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in