Talk

Advanced search

Fleas!

(5 Posts)
IToldYouIWasFreaky Mon 30-Nov-20 11:05:23

DCat seems to have super-fleas. We can't get rid of them and it's driving me mad.
He's normally treated with Frontline spot on every month but we may have got a bit behind and about a month ago noticed a few fleas on him. We immediately treated him but the fleas were still there. He was due a vet trip anyway so asked the vet about it and she recommended Advantage instead. So, he had a dose of that...didn't work. He then had another dose about 2 weeks later (the instructions said it was OK to give more frequently than monthly if needed. Didn't work.
We've also been cleaning the house regularly, hoovering min daily and emptying the hoover straight away. All bedding, throws, anything not nailed down is being washed frequently. We've tried various sprays for the house. We're combing DCat daily to try to remove fleas and eggs (he quite enjoys that!) We even shampooed the poor bugger (he did not enjoy that!)
At the weekend, we tried an all out assault of Frontline (as it's been a month since the last one), Bob Martin spray of the whole house, pulling furniture out etc, washing everything, and we did a Bob Martin fogger downstairs yesterday.
And I've just pulled a flea off DCat. angry I swear the little fuckers are laughing at me now!

DP is going to phone the vet today to ask for advice but just wanted to see if there was anything else we can try? Bar burning the house down?

OP’s posts: |
Putthegasfireon Mon 30-Nov-20 11:18:40

Indorex spray is the best for the house. Hoover to hatch the eggs then spray and kill the bastards.

But the best think to do is treat the cat and let it go where it usually goes as they'll jump on and die. It will take a couple of months til you're flea free and stop seeing them. It's not going to work immediately. Be careful as well, as it sounds like you're over treating the cat. The fleas seem to have become immune to Frontline but Advantage still works, but you have to give it time.

dementedpixie Mon 30-Nov-20 11:27:41

If there is an infestation then it can take a few weeks to get rid if them even if the flea treatment is working. Indorex for the house, don't use Bob Martin anything.

dementedpixie Mon 30-Nov-20 11:28:34

And don't use frontline either as its often ineffective

Thalassa9 Tue 01-Dec-20 21:22:32

I’m here to sympathise! My two indoor cats have fleas. These last few weeks have been awful. I brush our two a couple of times a day with a flea comb and each cat only ever has 1-2 at a time. I’m vacuuming everything daily, washing everything on hot washes, sprayed the house (but only recently discovered Indorex so haven’t used it yet) and they’ve both now had two doses of Advocate each (2 weeks apart as recommended by the vet). How long does this last?!?! I really hate creepy crawlies!!!!!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in