Talk

Advanced search

Anxious cat

(4 Posts)
Glitterinthegrey Thu 19-Nov-20 22:39:29

We have a 4 year old female cat, we've had her from a kitten. Up until about 4 months ago, she was an outdoor/indoor cat, very confident to go out and bring us back 'gifts' (usually alive!) She does get into some fights, she's not keen on other cats at all.

However, there was an incident where she came hurtling through the cat flap, sought refuge under our bed and when I eventually coaxed her out she was sodden - not just wet from the rain, but soaked through.

We're not really sure what happened.

Since then, she's barely going out, she's back to using the litter tray all the time, not that it's an issue, but we're worried she's not happy, and that something has made her afraid and anxious.

We're having building work on our house from Monday for about 3 weeks, I worry this will just unsettle her further.

Any suggestions at all please?

OP’s posts: |
Babdoc Fri 20-Nov-20 09:54:16

Is it possible an angry neighbour spotted her digging or crapping in his garden and threw a bucket of water over her? That might explain the wet fur and the anxiety.
Let her have a few days indoors to regain her equilibrium, keep to her normal routine, then perhaps open the back door and pop in and out yourself when she can see you.
You could then lure her outside with some Dreamies or other favourite treat, then stay beside her in the garden, letting her re establish her territory. Or carry her slowly round the garden, talking quietly and soothingly to her.
I think she will recover her confidence if you don’t push her too fast, and if you support and encourage her when she’s ready.
And maybe ask your neighbours if they’ve had any incidents with her!

Toddlerteaplease Fri 20-Nov-20 11:15:20

Try some Zyklene capsules on her food. It's the car equivalent of a mug of Horlicks at bedtime. Horlicks mmmmm. And a pet remedy diffuser her.to calm her down. Agree with a PP about someone having thrown water over her.

Glitterinthegrey Fri 20-Nov-20 18:15:31

Thank you both for your replies - I agree that it seems likely she's had water thrown over her (it was raining that day but she was soaked to the skin, still, nearly an hour after hiding under the bed. It was also the first time she really bit me). Neighbours either side deny it, they all know her, she's pretty inquisitive.

I'll have a look for the capsules and diffuser, thank you for the recommendation.

I did open the back door and stand out there for a bit earlier (in the rain!) but she didn't follow me out, just sat on the doormat looking at me like I'm a bit mad. Still, I'll persevere.

Thanks again.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in