Talk

Advanced search

Cat flaps

(12 Posts)
ErmieMum Sun 15-Nov-20 08:27:37

We are thinking of rehoming a cat but we don't have any obvious place for a cat flap - only have very large bifold glass doors at back or a front door which I am not keen to put one in. Do we have to have a cat flap or does anyone manage without one? Or any other ideas!?

OP’s posts: |
violetbunny Sun 15-Nov-20 09:25:08

Our two are in and out constantly all day, there's no way I'd want to be without one. They also get chased a lot by neighbouring cats, so we have a microchip one so they can safely run inside if they need to. We have our cat flap in our large bifold double glazed doors.

Simbidian Sun 15-Nov-20 09:28:53

Our cat flap is installed in a glass door. The door is double-glazed - the guy who installed the flap was from a double-glazing firm.

MerlotChiantiMontepulicano Sun 15-Nov-20 09:33:16

I've always had cats as a child and an adult and never had a cat flap. No issues.

Beamur Sun 15-Nov-20 09:35:06

It's possible to put cat flaps in glass or even through walls.
My friend has a tunnel through a wall (they had an extension built, builders also put this in) with a flap. The cats have got used to it!
If you had a window at a suitable height maybe you could have one there?
Not sure I would want to put a flap in expensive bifold doors!
My neighbour has cats but no flap, whiiis ok. She opens a window when they're in for the cats to use but if she goes out the cats are either in or out.
Personally I'm not keen on that as I think it's safer for your cats to be able to get in at any time.

JaJaDingDong Sun 15-Nov-20 09:40:42

We also have a cat flap in a double glazed door. DSis has one in her kitchen wall - it a little tunnel, with the flap bit on the outside.

cliffdiver Sun 15-Nov-20 09:45:21

We couldn't do without one. DCat is in and out all day and night.

dementedpixie Sun 15-Nov-20 09:46:59

We have ours in the front door as our back door is a sliding glass one. We are not on a busy street so the front one suits us

ErmieMum Sun 15-Nov-20 15:05:24

Thanks all - more options here than I thought! I am not sure dh will let me put one in the bi folds but maybe a kitchen window or even the wall looks like an option....

OP’s posts: |
Fluffycloudland77 Sun 15-Nov-20 15:49:35

Get dh to be in charge of letting the cat in and out, he’ll soon put a flap in.

I did similar to get a dishwasher.

LookToTreblesGoingTreblesGone Sun 15-Nov-20 16:28:20

No cat flap here.
She miaows to go out, I open the door. She miaows to come in, I open the door. It's never been a problem.

MatildaonaWaltzer Sun 15-Nov-20 16:30:37

we don't, so that we don't get a load of mice in the house. There's a cat flap into the garage where they have a bed but they ask at the door in te house (which obviously means we have to have a litter tray)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in