Talk

Advanced search

Kitten bite advice

(6 Posts)
seriouslynonames Thu 05-Nov-20 18:05:52

One of our kitties accidentally bit me as I was giving them their food - he was just trying to munch the food. But his tiny razor sharp tooth broke the skin on my finger so I wanted to know if I need a tetanus booster or 'just in case' antibiotics.
Anyone with experience of tiny kitten bites? He is about 11-12 weeks old so not been out yet but I know their mouths are full of bacteria. Don't want to faff with jabs and antibiotics if not needed!!
Thanks

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Thu 05-Nov-20 18:19:34

I'd wash it out with soap and water and just keep an eye on it

EllenRipley Thu 05-Nov-20 18:32:13

I've had cats since I was a kid and have been bitten and scratched many many times - kinda goes with the territory! Have only ever washed, and maybe disinfected or used antiseptic cream if it was a deep. So I don't think you need to worry if you've been sensible, unless you're immune-compromised. Like any wound, if it reddens or swells, you'd want to get it looked at.

Enjoy your wee kitty!

Grumpyoldpersonwithcats Thu 05-Nov-20 18:32:55

Agree with dementedpixie. Clean it and keep an eye on it. I've had bites fairly frequently and wouldn't do anything unless you get obvious symptoms.

seriouslynonames Thu 05-Nov-20 18:59:30

Thanks all, will keep an eye then. I have cleaned it but it's hard to keep it clean with 2 kids and kittens!

OP’s posts: |
Chemenger Fri 06-Nov-20 11:43:13

I've been bitten quite a few times by fosters. I give it a good wash with soap and water and stick a bit of sudacreme (or magic cream as we call it in our house) on it. Keep an eye on it, if it looks like it is getting red, swollen or hot then you need to get it seen to (advice from a friend who is a nurse in A&E). I think a kitten bite is probably less likely to be a problem than a bite from an adult, outdoor hunting type cat.
I've been scratched quite badly at the vet by one of my own cats an had to go through their wound protocol - washing with Hibiscrub and keeping an eye on it, basically.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in