Talk

Advanced search

Female Cat neutering advice

(13 Posts)
Littleredbrickmammy Wed 04-Nov-20 21:04:40

Hello, I am just looking for some reassurance. I got my female kitten neutered on Monday and she’s still not herself. She’s very sleepy was wondering if anyone could tell me how long it would

OP’s posts: |
Littleredbrickmammy Wed 04-Nov-20 21:07:15

Sorry posted too soon. If anyone could tell me how long it usually takes for them to bounce back. She’s got her vet nurse check up tomorrow. She’s eating and peeing but very very sleepy and stiff.

Bargebill19 Wed 04-Nov-20 21:31:40

3-4 days. Right after I got the vest off mine they were immediately much much happier. I had to take them off as the vet wanted email pictures of the stitches over the weekend. I wasn’t going to fight to get the vests back on as I had three to do.

Bargebill19 Wed 04-Nov-20 21:32:21

Gorgeous kitty!!

thecatneuterer Wed 04-Nov-20 21:52:44

They are usually back to normal within a few hours, but then we don't put any cones or vests on them - I bet that is what is making the difference. They can sometimes react to the vaccination. Did she have her first vaccination at the same time?

ThunderSkies Wed 04-Nov-20 21:55:35

Could be pain? Does she still have painkillers?

Littleredbrickmammy Thu 05-Nov-20 07:26:57

Thanks for the replies.
She had her vaccinations separately a few months ago and was fine after them. She has painkillers/anti inflammatorys that she takes once a day.
Maybe it is the vest. I had to put that on her as the cone didn’t go down well. She’s just so listless and not her usual feisty self.

NotMaryWhitehouse Thu 05-Nov-20 07:34:49

Yeah, I bet it's the vest too! My cat once had to wear socks on his back legs after a car accident and he lay in the middle of the room refusing to move for hours!

Bless her, I hope she perks up today.

NotMaryWhitehouse Thu 05-Nov-20 07:35:27

Was it a hard or soft cone? If hard, I think the soft ones are easier to tolerate, but some cats just will not be adorned!

Littleredbrickmammy Thu 05-Nov-20 09:13:24

It was a flexible plastic cone that attached with a bandage round her neck. She came home with that initially but I couldn’t get her to calm down with it on. It became a 12 hour non stop mission for her to get it off her head. The vets nurse recommended the next day to try the suit and it seemed better at first but she’s became more and more listless. The vet nurse told me it has to stay on for 10 days to let the stitches dissolve. I am hoping previous posters are right and she can get rid of it sooner. She’s going to see them today so fingers crossed.

Littleredbrickmammy Thu 05-Nov-20 09:16:23

She definitely is not a cat that likes to be adorned! She won’t wear a collar but that’s not been an issue so far as she only goes outside when one of us are with her and doesn’t leave the garden.

yogafairy Thu 05-Nov-20 09:20:19

Just to join in with everyone else, it's definitely the vest. Our vet said it subdues them. Our girl was thoroughly depressed with it on so we undid the poppers and tucked the ends in so that stitches were still covered and she was much happier.

Didntgetmydiamondring Thu 05-Nov-20 15:19:21

Mine slept until she no longer had the painkillers, it caused drowsiness.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in