Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have a Devon (or Cornish) Rex cat?

(12 Posts)
StillMedusa Tue 27-Oct-20 19:49:35

My Maine Coon Ophie is moving (she's been DD2's cat for years now) with DD2. Obie moved up the road to Thelma-cat-thief 2 years ago and I'm going to be catless sad First time EVER.

I'm still feeding the stray but he lives a semi feral life so no cuddles there.

I have been looking for rescues, but it would need to be a kitten for optimum settling in with the dog (who loves Ophie and will miss her). No luck so far. I can't even find an old dog friendly cat in rescues ..I keep looking but they are snapped up immediately and my feeling is a kitten would be able to bond much more easily..

If I have to go down the breeder route I would like Rex. Having had many years of Maine Coons and in Obie's case vet bills for sedated shaves, I want a short haired cat, and I do love massive ears!

Again I totally appreciate that rescue is best.. and my preference but if I can't then a Rex is my plan and I wondered if anyone here has one and can tell me more about their maintenance and personalities that the online stuff says.

OP’s posts: |
Toddlerteaplease Tue 27-Oct-20 19:59:52

Is there no chance of Obie the unfaithful coming back?

StillMedusa Tue 27-Oct-20 20:19:15

Not a hope sad We've tried. Whereas Ophie has become totally used to the dog (they sleep side by side now) Obie of course has never been home enough to become friends. I literally only see him at Thelma's.. and he doesn't trust me because we have to shave him now and again as he won't let her do his big knots (it takes two). I hate it but have accepted that he loves Thelma and is happy there sad I've never been dumped by a cat before.. had them all my life!

But I can't have my home without a cat in it...

diggadoo Tue 27-Oct-20 21:04:33

I've got two Selkirk Rex cats. They're curly furred and so cute

Toddlerteaplease Tue 27-Oct-20 21:16:23

My friend had a half Selkirk Rex, she has a kinky coat. It's beautiful.

TooManyDogsandChildren Tue 27-Oct-20 21:25:19

I have a Devon Rex. They have huge personalities and are very vocal. You will always know when your Rex wants something! They are very much people cats and mine wants to hang around and do stuff with me during the day. In the evening he must sit on me, knead and purr and sulks if I move. He makes a great hot water bottle due to his bald tummy smile

Lots of Rex's mine included, are fascinated by water and will paddle or even swim. Mine likes four inches of warm water in the bottom of the bath to walk around in.

StillMedusa Tue 27-Oct-20 22:24:30

I'd never heard of Selkirks before.. they are beautiful!
I do think I want a Devon though.. something about those bat ears, and I want a demanding cat (Ophie is VERY demanding and extremely vocal and I love it)
TooManyDogsandChildren (me too!) was it difficult to find a breeder? And is yours a strictly indoors cat? My Maine Coons have not been and I'm not sure I could do that unless we could make the garden 100% safe.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 28-Oct-20 04:10:23

What about a Persian exotic if you don't want long hair? They are a lovely breed and very loud! I'd love a Devon Rex though!

Vinorosso74 Wed 28-Oct-20 09:17:34

I don't have one but a cat cafe I have been to has one. She looks quite dinky next to some of the other cats but she is definitely quite a character!
Sorry to hear Obie has permanently left you for Thelma sad

TooManyDogsandChildren Wed 28-Oct-20 10:05:48

I looked online for breeders and did have to travel quite a way to get him.

Mine goes outdoors. We have another cat too and it seemed unfair that she could go out and he could not. He has been absolutely fine going out and the two of them stick to the local gardens. They are never far away if I call them.

TooManyDogsandChildren Wed 28-Oct-20 10:06:55

He is eight now so has been going out without problems for a few years.

DeusEx Thu 29-Oct-20 17:42:00

For demanding/loud and big eared, maybe consider a Bengal, Burmese or Siamese. Absolute princesses! But also generally very loyal and affectionate.

I realise this isn’t the advice you asked for but just in case you aren’t set on a Rex yet or have trouble finding a breeder! smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in