Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your pet, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.
This is a Premium feature
To use this feature subscribe to Mumsnet Premium - get first access to new features see fewer ads, and support Mumsnet.Start using Mumsnet Premium
Can you over vaccinate?(16 Posts)
If you have concerns about over-vaccination I would recommend discussing it with your vet before not giving annual boosters. They are run as a program, rather than yearly boosters for every one. For example the feline leukaemia vaccine tends to be given every three years. Most vets don't want to over-vaccinate any more than you do. Also, you won't be able to board your cats at a cattery without vaccinations, of course.
I have insurance for mine, but yes it will mean anything that they could be vaccinated against, won’t be covered.
Mine are mainly indoor cats, but they do have an outdoor enclosure and supervised garden access, I decided the pros outweigh the cons of annual jabs. I had also heard that we vaccinate against one strain of flu/enteritis but there are many strains about, so no guarantee it will protect them anyway.
Lonecat - I hope so!
Jasper - no, no extra fee but I do feel aggrieved that she did not even discuss the options. I was not with her in the room with my cat and so she gave the jab and then brought her out and informed me of the position.
I’ve been reading a little about over vaccinating. I suspect that not giving annual booster will preclude/limit insurance cover.
I’d be surprised that 1day over meant the course had to be started again, maybe I’m just suspicious but I’m guessing starting the course over means you have to pay for additional jabs. Maybe that’s why vets are so eager to be overly cautious, they can charge you more.
Theres quite a bit of research out there which suggests we vaccinate too much (as in every year is unnecessary) plus in other countries they vaccinate in the hind leg as it’s easier to remove should the site become cancerous from vaccines. Mine are 10 and I only ever gave them the initial jabs and first booster.
@maggiethecat practices are highly unlikely to full shut ( we never did) I don't think the BVA will
Go back to full lock down.
I think so.
I stopped giving my dog boosters after she started getting seizures.
My cat had her kitten vaccinations, probably 2 or 3 boosters before I stopped vaccinating her too.
I’d still give a new puppy/kitten their baby vaccs and the first year booster but probably no more
Lonecat - that's interesting. As things stand with Covid the practice may not even be giving jabs in 3 weeks' time.
Prestel - They started again with Novibac! Yes, I'll try to look on the bright side. It's just that we haven't even been opening windows and have been covertly exiting our back door in case she gives the slip.
Have they started again with novibac or a different one? If they prefer using a different brand and didn't have novibac in stock that could be why they wanted to start it again although obviously they should have explained that's why and given you the choice. If they started again with novibac then I agree that's very frustrating. On the bright side the extra 3 weeks will at least ensure she's really bonded to your house and won't forget where she lives when she finally gets her freedom
Different brands of vaccine should not be mixed for primary vaccination courses and there are 6 brands out there.
Some practices over more flexibility and there was guidance issued during Covid that I believe for Nobivac said you could safely have 6 weeks between the two injections and still gain immunity, but this was off licence. And clients should be advised of this.
@Prestel - Lola came with a record from CPL showing that she had Nobivac and the date so would think it wouldn't have been too difficult to continue with that.
Jumper, I wasn't offered that option and I think, although not sure, she started all over again ie re administered the one given 4 weeks + 1 day ago rather than giving the second jab with the intention of giving the outdated 1 in 3 weeks time (I presume that the order of delivery matters?).
If it was that she gave the second jab yesterday I suppose I could call them up and enquire about the off licence consent (laughing as I type - sounds I'm consenting to booze).
It's annoying esp since this may Lola's third round of jabs for the year and she is delayed going out for an additional 3 weeks. It would have been reasonable for the vets to have asked when the first jab was given when I booked the appointment for the second one
All the 1 extra day means it will be given 'off licence', you should be offered the option of signing an off licence consent form and no further vaccinations until booster.
Moving vets can complicate things because they use different programs and without the same make of vaccine being given at the correct times you can end up with gaps in coverage, so there can be a bit of a tendency to start again from scratch when you go somewhere new or if there isn't a clear vaccination record. I agree you don't want to be starting again too frequently though, so keeping up with boosters is important, although the leeway on cat boosters is bigger than dogs so you would get away with one or even two months late with a cat booster but not with a dog one, sorry about that Scweltish. I'm not sure why dog boosters have so little room to run over compared to cats but once you miss the window they have to start again, unfortunately.
I wonder if vets are overly cautious in their practice to protect themselves and not just the cats? Also, she admitted to the repeat jab due to 1 extra day seeming ridiculous but mentioned something about the drug companies being very strict about administration.
I do think this. My dog had his annual jabs, but because I didn’t get his booster until 13 months later instead of 12, the vet insisted on jabbing him then, and then again 2 weeks later. That’s 3 rounds of vaccinations for the same things in a space of 13 and a half months. Ridiculous imo
Our new rescue cat had one jab when she was at the rescue home and has just had her second one by our vet. However vet said that the second jab was 1 day past 4 weeks since the first jab which she will have to give again.
She will now have to wait 3 weeks for repeat jab and a further 3 weeks after that before she can go out - so a total of 6 weeks before letting her out. Apart from this, there is also the possibility that she may have had her annual jab by her previous owner.
I just wonder if the decision to repeat is a bit OTT and also whether it's possible to over vaccinate?