Talk

Advanced search

Litter - wood pellets vs clumping

(5 Posts)
maggiethecat Mon 05-Oct-20 10:01:01

We've been using wood pellets which our new rescue cat used at CPL and were planning to change to Worlds Best eventually. However, we don't have any problems with odour at the moment and using the pellets has been ok.

This may be because I'm home and can clear her poo quickly but wonder if the clumping would be better for odour absorption if her poo was left unattended for longer periods?

Also, I wonder if the clumping material sticks to their paws and possibly transfers unnhygenic matter around the house moreso than the pellets?

OP’s posts: |
Bargebill19 Mon 05-Oct-20 21:43:26

IMO everything tracks around the house, it’s a question of what’s most acceptable to both you and your cat. I like clumping cat litter or whole sheets of newspaper. Whilst wood pellets initially smelt ‘nice’ I food wet sawdust tracked a long way and smelt awful.

Pinkshrimp Mon 05-Oct-20 22:18:42

Never had a problem with wood. I do a nice deep layer and change it all often so have never had sawdust trailing everywhere or a smell and I chuck the sawdust on the compost or bury it in a hole as it’s biodegradable.
DSis uses clumping & there are bits of litter grit all over the place & I can smell it as soon as I go in her house (pre Covid obvs).
Maybe get a small bag of clumping to try and see what you, & your cat, prefer.

nearlyoldenough Mon 05-Oct-20 22:33:12

I run a cattery
After extensive litter experiments I have found wood pellets to be the best
If you take out pooh ASAP and st least once a day , then reverse sieve it over a bucket so pellets can go back in tray but sawdust is disposed of, it will stay nice for a week before needing a complete change
Very little tracking
There's one that's great for smells but does track more, it's made from ground walnut shells, Ocado sell it but I can't remember the name

maggiethecat Tue 06-Oct-20 11:52:27

Thanks all!
@nearlyoldenough - that's what I'm doing at the moment - I use a litter tray designed for clumping but use it in reverse of what's intended. I sift the sawdust through and keep the pellets and this seems to be working fine. It's a Pets at home brand litter that I use and it's very cost effective.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in