Talk

Advanced search

Cat proofing walled garden

(12 Posts)
AmandaHugenkiss Sat 26-Sep-20 13:45:44

Apologies if this has been addressed before, I did a search but couldn’t find much.

Currently my old moggie is a house cat as my garden has no fence and opens on to a massively busy main road. He’s also stupid to the point of being dropped on his head as a kitten, so can’t be trusted in any way to stay safe.

We are moving to a semi with a lovely large enclosed walled garden, old Victorian walls around the whole thing. Easy for a cat to climb, even a decrepit bag of bones like him. I’d like to let him out and potter around the garden especially as it already has a cat flap, but I’d really like to cat proof the garden to keep him in just to be safe.

Does anyone have any experience with doing this on gardens walls, particularly shared walls? Ideally without it looking really ugly but I’ll suck it up being an eyesore if required for him. Or any good resources you can recommend on the internet to use? Thanks in advance!

OP’s posts: |
rosiethehen Sat 26-Sep-20 13:52:50

I have Protect A Cat brackets fitted on my garden fence. It looks okay, but it is visible.

Pinkshrimp Sat 26-Sep-20 13:55:51

Something like this? If you scroll down there are pictures

protectapet.com/cat-fence/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ads&utm_campaign=installation&utm_content=fence&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzbv7BRDIARIsAM-A6-1bB-Jy8q8IGfRrsOrXvMNPekwr-5wWUv43KXoeOmrp4_9__4NUSDoaAsAtEALw_wcB

Or a catio? There are lots of sellers on eBay who do various sizes or made to measure.

www.manomano.co.uk/p/wooden-outdoor-cat-enclosure-cat-playpen-pet-home-cat-house-cat-shelter-cat-run-weatherproof-12887661#/

rosiethehen Sat 26-Sep-20 13:56:37

It's actually called Protect A Pet

AmandaHugenkiss Sat 26-Sep-20 14:05:46

@rosiethehen ah I knew there was something like that but didn’t know the name, thank you!

@pinkshrimp I hadn’t even thought about a catio. Could be an option, but he really likes sleeping on top of plants in my inlaws garden so I’d feel bad depriving him of his garden destroying opportunities 😂

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 26-Sep-20 14:11:07

Katzecure is unobtrusive.

AmandaHugenkiss Sat 26-Sep-20 15:22:56

@Fluffycloudland77 that’s less ugly than the protect a cat for sure!

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sat 26-Sep-20 16:05:39

There's no way I'd risk Katzecure with Harry, I'd be worried he'd fall back and hurt himself. I'd rather put up with the netting to be honest.

Absii Sat 26-Sep-20 17:08:33

OP where do you live? I have one I bought in Dec that I used until my cats were ready to go out. It's languishing in the garage. You're welcome to it. I'm in Kent/Sussex..

AmandaHugenkiss Sat 26-Sep-20 20:19:47

@Absii oh that’s really kind but I’m a long long way from you! My DP has looked at the links on here and is now excitedly pondering if he could do something similar himself, so we might end up with something “unique” 😂

Absii Sun 27-Sep-20 00:34:28

I don't think they're complicated designs, so that's actually a good idea!

Oldraver Sun 27-Sep-20 08:16:31

Have a look on YouTube as I'm sure Ive seen people who have made their own enclosures slightly copying ProtectaPet.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in