Talk

Advanced search

Getting a furbaby?

(4 Posts)
minipie Sat 26-Sep-20 18:15:55

As for solutions when you go away - we have an automatic pet feeder and water fountain which is ok for a long weekend. You could get a web enabled camera if you wanted more reassurance that the cat is ok. Longer than that, we still use the automatic feeder but ask a neighbour to pop in and check and top up if needed every couple of days.

minipie Sat 26-Sep-20 18:13:42

Secondly, our home is rented with no suitable door for catflap so furbaby would have to go out when I'm home only. Once workplaces are fully reopen at some point and we return to work, I wouldn't want to let kitty out all day and go to work simply because I don't think it's safe.

I think the travel isn’t a problem, there are various solutions, but this bit is a concern. While you WFH, the cat would get used to being let in and out often but once you return to the office... what happens? The cat has to become an indoor cat except for weekends? Seems unfair on the cat if it’s got used to going outside.

I think if the cat will have to be (essentially) an indoor cat at some point, then best to have them as an indoor cat from the start. That probably limits your choice of rescue cats, but there are always a few who need to be indoor cats due to FIV etc.

fluffyugg Sat 26-Sep-20 13:23:04

It sounds like a perfect time to get them with you being at home to get to know them and allow them to settle. We got two rescues 5 years ago (sisters, 3 yrs old). They only go out when we're home and they are loving us being around more as they can ask out and in every two minutes! We don't have a cat flap and they know that once they're in at night that's it until morning. We use a pet sitter when we go away (she comes twice a day and gives them a cuddle etc as well as feeding/grooming) Good luck!

FelineUK Sat 26-Sep-20 13:18:13

Really looking for advice and support on whether now's a good time as I'm WFH and will be for next 6 months or so, to get a cat/s?

This might be a long-winded post, but I just want to share some concerns and thoughts, and some background info first.

I don't have kids but my cats have been my kids.. last two passed away over 10 years ago and since my divorce 12 years ago and remarriage, living in a different country etc, I didn't get any others. Now, living in rented accommodation for those last 10 years it never seemed the right time and before Covid we travelled etc., so it was always for me a case of, when we get our own place it'll be better. But I miss not having cats so much; it makes me sad when there are so many that need a home.

My main concern is, and why I've put off so many times is, we do go away quite a lot. I have a 78 year old widowed father so we spend 5 times a year, for several days at a time staying with him, and then usually, 2-3 weeks a year going on holiday. I can't take a furbaby with me to Dad's as he's already got a cat and it would stress everyone out too much; how/what's the best way to get over the concern of what happens to furbaby when one goes away? Any recommendations? (In the past, my furbabies have always gone with me to my parents - with my ex husband we never went on holiday so it didn't matter.) What are your recommendations - petsitters or catteries? I'd prefer the former but what's your experience?

Secondly, our home is rented with no suitable door for catflap so furbaby would have to go out when I'm home only. Once workplaces are fully reopen at some point and we return to work, I wouldn't want to let kitty out all day and go to work simply because I don't think it's safe.

I'm also agonising slightly over whether kitten or cat (Oh, and before I forget to mention I'm only looking to get furbabies from rescue shelters...) - kitten because I can then get it used to a lead if necessary; but then again, there are so many elderly cats that want forever homes and are often overlooked for the cute kitties.. I'm afraid I'm one of those people that hates going to rescue shelters because I'll bawl my eyes out the whole time because I can't take every one home! (Yeh, pathetic, I know!)

So.. what to do.. do I get one now, whilst I'm wfh; what to do about times we go away; cat or kitty? (I'd probably get two.)

(My DH tells, me oh wait til we're retired... well sorry, I've waited 10 years, so screw that! )

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in