Talk

Advanced search

Lovely cat turned psycho cat today!

(61 Posts)
maggiethecat Mon 21-Sep-20 21:43:45

We're still learning the personality of our 2 yo rescue who for the first few days home was fairly calm although friendly. She's never seemed shy of us at all, took her time familiarising herself with the house and first night slept in dd's bed. Today is day 4 and suddenly she's been sprinting around the house up and down the stairs, high jump on to the top bunk bed etc.
Is this normal behaviour? letting off steam perhaps?

OP’s posts: |
GreasyFryUp Mon 21-Sep-20 21:47:25

It's known as being a giddy kipper in our house. Or they're having a mad half hour.

They are still young and are now feeling secure enough to start behaving normally, letting of steam as you say. Enjoy!

Toddlerteaplease Mon 21-Sep-20 21:47:46

Yes. Completely normal. It's called the Zoomies. Just move anything breakable!

Toddlerteaplease Mon 21-Sep-20 21:48:39

Ahem OP, aren't you forgetting something? It the litter tray rules!

Vinorosso74 Mon 21-Sep-20 22:01:26

No photo no advice

FlippinNoah Mon 21-Sep-20 22:07:28

We need a photo of NuttyCat. Only then can we tell you the secrets of the Cat World....

maggiethecat Mon 21-Sep-20 22:16:35

Still learning the rules!
She was too quick for me to get one of her in action earlier. This one just taken definitely makes a liar of me grin

ozymandiusking Mon 21-Sep-20 22:18:42

Known as cracker cat, in our house.

FlippinNoah Mon 21-Sep-20 22:32:46

Aw look at her all tired out from all the catting 😻 My 2 usually do the 'a tiger is chasing me!' run any time between 2am - 5am. Welcome to the club!

maggiethecat Mon 21-Sep-20 22:53:58

Properly zonked now! Don't think she'll make it upstairs to bed grin

Allergictoironing Tue 22-Sep-20 09:02:58

Mine have the zoomies as a pair, chasing each other up & down stairs. Fine, until they decide to do it at 1am and include my bed as a springboard.

YukoandHiro Tue 22-Sep-20 09:31:15

Still a young cat! She's relaxed and is having her "mad half hour". They all do this; it's just like having a toddler smile

samlh Tue 22-Sep-20 09:48:59

The zoomies are a bit frightening at first (well they were for me as a new cat owner) but you get used to them.

Leo gets the zoomies straight after he poops and then sometimes at around 4am because, why not smile

StopGo Tue 22-Sep-20 09:53:00

The zoomies are perfectly normal part of catting. Often straight after using the litter tray.

TheQueef Tue 22-Sep-20 09:57:25

Mine stick to the 4am cacophony on the landing for zoomies.
I still haven't found the boots they must wear ....

Eekay Tue 22-Sep-20 10:00:14

The zoomiessmile very normal

Toddlerteaplease Tue 22-Sep-20 10:03:41

Aww she looks adorable.

giantangryrooster Tue 22-Sep-20 10:31:51

* Leo gets the zoomies straight after he poops*

Ah yes the mad run of relief grin.

shesgonebatshitagain Tue 22-Sep-20 10:35:14

She’s very lovely

Requinblanc Tue 22-Sep-20 10:46:29

I call it 'crazy cat' time. Seems like she is settling well and resuming 'normal' cat behaviour...Enjoy and well done for giving her a home.

AfterSchoolWorry Tue 22-Sep-20 10:58:01

She's happy!!! 😊😊😊

maggiethecat Tue 22-Sep-20 11:06:11

Thankfully she doesn't have the Zoomies at the zombie hour....yet!
Day 5 and still working her out. She follows me around, if I go to the loo she sits outside the door. Even if she's snoozing if I leave the room she'll come and find me. I don't mind but I had got used to the idea that cats largely ignored you.
It makes me wonder what kind of life she had before.

Shmithecat2 Tue 22-Sep-20 11:10:11

Zoomies are awesome, I love them. Most of my cats are 7yo now so they don't happen very much at all. We'll probably never have any more young cats/kittens after this lot are no longer with us, and young cat behaviour like this is something I'll really miss. I love naughty cats.

Toilenstripes Tue 22-Sep-20 11:17:29

My DH also thought cats ignore people. 😂 He still gets caught out by Toilecat being with us at all times, leaving a toy on the landing every night while we’re sleeping. The zoomies are fabulous!

YetAnotherSpartacus Tue 22-Sep-20 11:22:14

Actually, it's pretty amazing that she trusts you so much already!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in