Talk

Advanced search

Alternatives to commercial cat food?

(12 Posts)
ExpectTheWorst Fri 11-Sep-20 13:43:57

We are getting our kitten next month and I'm looking into what to feed it. Our previous cat (20 years ago) had Whiskas pouches, but in the mean time we've had 2 dogs and I have moved away from processed commercial pet food.
Does anyone feed their cat a raw or home cooked diet?

OP’s posts: |
PinkSparklyPussyCat Sat 12-Sep-20 18:57:53

I tried but thankfully he wasn't interested as it made me feel ill! We feed him Country Hunter instead which is 96% meat but I'm not sure if it's suitable for kittens.

chocolatespiders Sat 12-Sep-20 21:53:18

Look up nature's menu and feringa on zooplus. My cat likes both of these.

NotABeliever Sat 12-Sep-20 22:39:33

I feed my Russian Blue raw meat only becausr that's what the breeder suggested but I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do or not. Seems like a very restrictive diet but she seems happy and not overweight.

ExpectTheWorst Sun 13-Sep-20 18:09:08

I'd consider raw, but tbh I did it with the dogs and I didn't notice that they were any better off on it, plus if I give them cooked meat I can incorporate it into our weekly menus (so if I do a whole chicken then our dog gets chicken etc).

Does nobody "cook" for their cat?

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 13-Sep-20 18:32:11

Good god no, I'd probably poison him!

(DH does our cooking rather than risk something I've made!)

chocolatespiders Mon 14-Sep-20 14:12:59

I sometimes buy cheap frozen filets from Sainsburys and poach them but my cats has gone off them recently.

I don't know what to feed my cat at thee moment. He is refusing most things.

ExpectTheWorst Mon 14-Sep-20 15:06:49

@PinkSparklyPussyCat lol well I do all our cooking and I haven't poisoned anyone yet so fingers crossed it stays that way!

I think I probably need to go and find a pet-specific forum and ask about this. There doesn't seem to be very much information about it out there.

QueenPaws Mon 14-Sep-20 16:13:27

You can feed a balanced raw diet or feed cooked meat with this
Instructions under feeding guide https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/supplementsspecialtyy_catfood/vitamins/155860?variantid=155860.1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjJfMvPfo6wIVDOJ3Ch2kwQggEAQYBCABEgLkOO_D_BwE

QueenPaws Mon 14-Sep-20 16:14:17

Oh and with the felini don't feed liver or bones so just purely meat and the felini supplement

ExpectTheWorst Tue 15-Sep-20 07:06:13

Thank you, that (especially reading all the comments and reviews) is really helpful!

Pegase Sun 20-Sep-20 07:23:25

Our new kittens are on Royal Canin kibble plus poached chicken/fish or raw food- Natural Instinct- so we will keep them on the same when they come home. I think the proper raw food has bones ground into it which you couldn't do with fresh?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in