Talk

Advanced search

Too many litters?

(6 Posts)
Herbiegerbie Fri 04-Sep-20 08:11:42

I'm thinking of getting a rescue cat shortly. I have been matched to one particular cat who seems adorable in nature but the poor thing is only 2 and has had 4 pregnancies before the rescue centre spayed her. She was taken to the rescue centre while she was pregnant with her 4th litter and delivered those there.

Has anyone any experience with a cat who has been through so many pregnancies? Could there be problems resulting from this in the future?

OP’s posts: |
Toddlerteaplease Fri 04-Sep-20 08:25:27

Mine were both Persian ex breeding queens. But they were from a kitten farm. So not well treated. They were rescued in poor condition and have had issues related to their breed. But a normal might should be ok.

Toddlerteaplease Fri 04-Sep-20 08:25:58

*moggy should be ok.

viccat Fri 04-Sep-20 09:31:36

The main issue with late spaying is that the risk of future mammary gland tumours goes up a bit as they go into season (as does the risk of pyometra but that risk is removed when she's spayed so won't be an issue).

I wouldn't let it stop me adopting her though as it's just one of those things in life, you never know what the future holds anyway...

Herbiegerbie Fri 04-Sep-20 10:51:04

Thanks for the responses. I just wondered whether I'd be letting myself in for a heap of issues with her but I guess we just don't know anyway much of the time.

OP’s posts: |
Toddlerteaplease Fri 04-Sep-20 21:25:47

Go for it, if you think she's right for you!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in