Talk

Advanced search

Is my cat dying?

(10 Posts)
NHSEA Tue 25-Aug-20 17:49:36

My 18 year old cat has not been well for the last 10 days or so. He started yowling a few months ago, and this has been really bad recently. He also started to hide under the bed or stay outdoors. We took him to see the vet last week, and they tried to take blood. He wouldn't cooperate, so they said they would only do under sedation. The vet mentioned his teeth didn't look great, and maybe that could be the problem.

I now have my cat booked in for blood test and teeth exam under sedation next week. Can't get him in any earlier than that, but the vet has given him some pain relief.

Previously he was mainly an indoor cat, used to love my DH giving him cuddles, would come on the bed, and used a litter tray. Now he is staying outside sheltering in a hutch. This morning I could hear him yowling, and he was just stood inside the hutch crying. He doesn't come into the house to eat, we take food out to him. His appetite is good though, and he eats everything up. His coat looks glossy.

I feel so sad about my boy. I am wondering if I am doing the right thing taking him for sedation next week, and more than likely putting him through the trauma of having teeth extracted. The vet said that they would run some blood tests before carrying on with teeth to make he was up to it.

OP’s posts: |
Pelleas Tue 25-Aug-20 17:52:39

I'm afraid they do withdraw from their families when they are ill or in pain. I think you should see what his bloods say and take it from there.

NHSEA Tue 25-Aug-20 17:55:09

Thanks Pelleas. That's what by DH just said. His kidney functions wasn't great 3 months ago, but then he picked up. Will wait and see.

Paranoidmarvin Tue 25-Aug-20 19:15:33

Please let us know how u get on x

NHSEA Tue 25-Aug-20 20:28:01

Thank you paranoidmarvin. I will do. It’s a horrible night and he’s in the rabbit hutch, when he would usually be snuggled up indoors. Just thinking about him is making me cry

Plump82 Tue 25-Aug-20 21:00:22

Could it be the start of cat dementia. Im sure our old girl had it as she always seemed a bit confused where she was and would yowl a lot.

Burpeesshmurpees Wed 26-Aug-20 12:08:45

I was thinking dementia too. My old boy got a bit like this. He was also totally deaf. I really hadn't realised but the vet suddenly just dropped a metal pan in an appointment - no warning. I jump d out my skin (not sure why she couldn't tell me what she was about to do it's not like he would have understood 🙄) but he didn't even turn around. So he was yowling but it was partly because he couldn't hear how loud he was. Hope you're vet can get to the bottom of it

Itsjustabitofbanter Wed 26-Aug-20 12:14:04

I’d go with cat dementia. I’d actually catch him and keep him in the house from now on. I wouldn’t leave him outside cold and confused. Will he use a litter tray if you keep him in? I’d go ahead with whatever the vet recommends. I know he’s old but it may be something easily fixed that enables him to spend his final days happy and comfortable

Spidey66 Wed 26-Aug-20 12:19:19

I know when my cat was dying, he stopped eating, was not very mobile, and was peeing and pooing all over the house. I hated seeing him like that. He was 18 like yours but had an overactive thyroid for years but had health issues anyway. We took him to the vet and were advised to put him to sleep.

He was on meds for his thyroid. Initially it was difficult to administer them but he got used to them. I remember a day or so before he died, I was trying to give him his meds and he was so distressed and peed all over me. I just sat there thinking, ''Why am I doing this? This cat is dying.'' Fair enough if it was pain relief but I stopped fighting him.

NHSEA Wed 26-Aug-20 17:21:56

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. I think it's probably dementia, when he starts yowling he sounds like a goose honking, and does seem confused. He won't come for food, but is eating well when it's put in front of him.

Itsjustabitofbanter we have a hutch and a duck house in the garden, and he just goes between those. They are cosy and have plenty of straw in. When he starts I have to let him out, otherwise he is circling and howling. I am hoping that they can get to the bottom of it next week.

Spidey66 they are going to test for thyroid when he goes next week. I have some pain relief for him which I give in syringe, and he won't take that.

At the moment he is lying on a garden chair in the sun, and looks quite content for now.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in