Talk

Advanced search

Cat won't eat normal food brand after one bad packet

(7 Posts)
TiredMaofTwo Wed 19-Aug-20 14:45:12

Hello our cat had a bad packet of her normal cat food which she refused to eat. About an hour later I noticed it had small maggots in it. Fair enough no wonder she didn't want it. I have emailed complaint to pet food company along with pics.
My problem is that she now refuses to eat any wet food from this company, even different types to the one that was off. will have to try another brand. I do have dry food out but she always prefers wet. She is a neutered 2 year old Bengal and had recent trip to vet so nothing wrong with her teeth. This is my first cat, do they sometimes do this?

OP’s posts: |
Pipandmum Wed 19-Aug-20 14:49:05

Any cat (or other animal) will turn up their nose at rotten food. But they will eat if hungry enough. Just wait a day then offer a different flavour. I've never had a fussy pet as I refuse to let them be picky. They eat what I give them (good quality food always).

TiredMaofTwo Wed 19-Aug-20 15:41:25

I have tried that but not working unfortunately. I'm still waiting to hear from pet food company what they have to say about the maggots.

OP’s posts: |
wheresmymojo Fri 21-Aug-20 10:13:43

I mean...to be fair, if you went to eat your normal meal and it had maggots in it would rather put you off eating that same thing again for some time!

It's a natural in built 'disgust' mechanism in both animals and humans.

Can't you give her a different brand for a few days until the memory fades a bit?

wheresmymojo Fri 21-Aug-20 10:14:08

Also what brand is it?

madcatladyforever Fri 21-Aug-20 10:16:50

Yuck that is disgusting. I had that with human food once, opened a packet of seasoned tuna and it was bone dry and clearly off even though within expiry date.
I haven't been able to eat tuna since.
I'd change brands for a while and gradually reintroduce the old one in time.

BlueJag Fri 21-Aug-20 10:21:56

Cats are notoriously fuzzy eaters. Just change brands buy a packet of something else and see if she eats it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in