Talk

Advanced search

Cats outdoors after flea treatment?

(6 Posts)
NeedMoreTea Fri 07-Aug-20 21:16:10

My mother says I have to put the cats straight out after putting on the flea treatment drops as the fleas jump off them. Is that true? And if so how long do you lock them outside for?

OP’s posts: |
BoopBop Fri 07-Aug-20 21:21:28

No I dont think so, I have never locked my two out they'd be fuming. I flea them all year round so out in the rain would be counter productive. If you are treating every four weeks it's preventative so shouldn't be many about . If you have seen fleas so are treating you may see a few jump about as they are getting caught I was given the advice to hoover a lot so they do jump on the cats and die as it gets them moving!

Vinorosso74 Fri 07-Aug-20 21:30:59

No that's rubbish. What about indoor cats, those in shelters, kittens.etc? I'm assuming you're using something like Advocate/Stronghold as you say drops. If you're using it monthly then the cats shouldn't have any fleas to "jump off" anyway. I would go on vets advice rather than my mum's (no offence to your mum as she isn't alone as a lot of people don't understand cat things!)

caringcarer Fri 07-Aug-20 21:51:29

Cats need cleaning every month, especially in the summer. I don't lock my cats out ever and I have five. They are cleared every month and wormed every other month. I also spray their cat trees indoors every couple of weeks with flea spray and throw their baskets into washing machine every month. Dogs get cleared at same time as cats. If you keep on top of flea treatment they dont get fleas.

indemMUND Fri 07-Aug-20 23:00:53

Spot on treatment no, tablets yes as they kick in after about 15 minutes and the fleas start dropping off.

NeedMoreTea Sat 22-Aug-20 12:17:42

Thanks for all your replies. I gave them the treatment and decided not to lock the cats out (sorry mum!). I've also put notes on my calendar to make sure I do the treatments regularly.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in