Talk

Advanced search

I've just discovered a new word.

(13 Posts)
Grumpyoldpersonwithcats Fri 31-Jul-20 08:44:49

I've always liked interesting words . Having learnt a new one today I feel I ought to share this useful (and strangely appropriate) gem with the litter tray.

Catillate (verb, first seen in 1623 according to the OED) means 'to lick the plate clean'.

I shall include this word in conversation at least three times today grin.

OP’s posts: |
YesItsMeIDontCare Fri 31-Jul-20 08:49:11

Appropriate. Leroy catillated his breakfast bowl this morning having catillated his supper dish from last night.

DH & DS already moan at me for using obscure (to them) words when I don't have to. I have just added another one 😁.

Grumpyoldpersonwithcats Fri 31-Jul-20 08:53:17

YesItsMeIDontCare

You are my kind of person grin.

Sybil was catillating my breakfast plate this morning.

OP’s posts: |
YesItsMeIDontCare Fri 31-Jul-20 09:09:11

He's just had his second breakfast. 🙄

Catillated it. 😁

Toddlerteaplease Fri 31-Jul-20 09:13:49

😃😃😃

Toddlerteaplease Fri 31-Jul-20 09:17:50

I practically catillated my premier in breakfast this morning.

elephantoverthehill Fri 31-Jul-20 09:21:25

I wish my cat would catillate. She always leaves a few bits of food in her bowl (I think it is emergency supplies) and then starts crying for more. We have a fair few stand offs. spell check doesn't recognise catillate

DotBall Fri 31-Jul-20 09:22:52

My favourite cat-related words are ‘primordial pouch’. I nurture my own primordial pouch 😂

Soubriquet Fri 31-Jul-20 09:23:18

I like this word...

My dogs cattilate (dogitlate?) coffee whenever they get the chance

Toots lately has been cattilating her food. Probably cos it was expensive hmm

Allergictoironing Fri 31-Jul-20 09:28:25

I shall add this to primordial pouch and to crepuscular - which has to be one of the most amazing words there is.

There was a thread a few months back with people nominating their favorite words, mostly ones which rarely come up in "normal" conversation.

thecatneuterer Fri 31-Jul-20 17:20:12

I find my cats very rarely catillate (probably because I don't give them very expensive pouches). However all the left overs go to feed my garden fox which catillates till the cows come home.

TroysMammy Fri 31-Jul-20 20:29:24

Haribo catillated this morning when I gave him a Wilko tuna flakes pouch for the first time. At 60p each I'm sorry boyo but it's not going to be a regular thing.

Toddlerteaplease Fri 31-Jul-20 21:33:26

Mine don't Catillate either.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in