Talk

Advanced search

Am I doing the right thing?

(13 Posts)
aloulou Mon 20-Jul-20 02:52:08

I've had my kitten for 2 weeks his is about 8/9 weeks old, since I've got him we have locked him in the living room at night time (with his litter tray food and water and all of his toys of course)
He cries a little bit but we haven't heard him go crazy being on his own I've now read online he shouldn't be on his own at that age for longer than 8 hours so I'm a little lost as what to do here are my problems

1 I live in a one bedroom flat and my bed is really low to the floor meaning when me and my partner go to bed the kitten can easily climb up and start attacking our feet and fingers meaning no sleep for us!!

2 my boy is crazy at night time with the zoomies and although I know it's normal even keeping my bedroom door open would be a nightmare !!

Please help! Am I being cruel by locking him in the living room at night just untill he's calmer when he's a bit older? Or should I buy I higher bed frame that he can't get on the attack us at night time? I feel like such a bad fur mumsadsad

OP’s posts: |
Nandocushion Mon 20-Jul-20 03:27:32

No you're not being cruel. Not sure why you couldn't leave a kitten alone, but it's not like you've left him and gone away for the weekend, he's in the next room.

aloulou Mon 20-Jul-20 03:36:49

Nandocushion

No you're not being cruel. Not sure why you couldn't leave a kitten alone, but it's not like you've left him and gone away for the weekend, he's in the next room.

Do you think I'm being paranoid thinking that he might be slightly distant because he isn't sleeping in the same room as us? The women I got him off said he loved cuddles but he doesn't seem too

EachandEveryone Mon 20-Jul-20 10:07:40

I did that for about a week and that was enough. I never had thembiting my feet or anything. Is he going to be an indoor only cat? Can you get him a friend?

TroysMammy Mon 20-Jul-20 10:47:42

Haribo sleeps in the kitchen on his own. He now goes in there to sleep around 10pm. He's just gone 1 year old and has always been locked in the kitchen at night from when I got him at 9 weeks old. He's a loving cat but no longer a lap sitter.

Want2beme Mon 20-Jul-20 16:40:18

One of my cats is only allowed in the kitchen because she's a big bully and I have to keep her separate. She sleeps in there at night. She was an adult when she came to live with me . I don't hear a peep from her during the night. She's very friendly and chatty.

Oldestchild90s Mon 20-Jul-20 18:36:54

@aloulou What did you call him in the end? 😀

With my first kitten, we shut her in the living room over night.. they soon get used to it. No problems! If it works for you it works for him 😊

CazzaCat Mon 20-Jul-20 19:08:40

It’s up to you @aloulou but personally as an experienced cat owner I wouldn’t leave a tiny kitten on it’s own all night. If he was in the wild he’d still be with his mum and litter mates at that age. Putting up with their night time antics is part of the joys of having a kitten.

Are you with him all day working from home after the night time apart?

aloulou Mon 20-Jul-20 19:11:33

CazzaCat

It’s up to you @aloulou but personally as an experienced cat owner I wouldn’t leave a tiny kitten on it’s own all night. If he was in the wild he’d still be with his mum and litter mates at that age. Putting up with their night time antics is part of the joys of having a kitten.

Are you with him all day working from home after the night time apart?

I work from home so apart from the times I go for a walk or visit family I'm with him

CazzaCat Mon 20-Jul-20 19:33:58

@aloulou that’s not too bad then is it smile I think if he was away from you all night then you went to work, it would be a bit mean. But if you’re with him most of the day I’m sure that would be enough interaction. Maybe try him at night and see how bad it is grin

Pancakeorcrepe Tue 21-Jul-20 20:42:48

It’s a very personal choice. I don’t think you’re being cruel as such but it is obvious kitten would prefer to be with you at night. He is still very small and they are used to sleeping in a big pile with their siblings and mum so he will be missing a warm body next to him. For me, my pets are for indulging so I just give them everything that they want, when they want it. I love having my cats on the bed with me so they have full access everywhere.

aloulou Tue 21-Jul-20 21:23:14

Pancakeorcrepe

It’s a very personal choice. I don’t think you’re being cruel as such but it is obvious kitten would prefer to be with you at night. He is still very small and they are used to sleeping in a big pile with their siblings and mum so he will be missing a warm body next to him. For me, my pets are for indulging so I just give them everything that they want, when they want it. I love having my cats on the bed with me so they have full access everywhere.

I wouldn't mind him in the bed I just know he's to crazy for that yet we would have terrible sleep

FiddlefigOnTheRoof Wed 22-Jul-20 07:19:56

My sleep trumps my pets (as long they aren’t ill) so is a compromise to leave him a heat pad with a old jumper on top that you’ve worn for a few days?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in