Talk

Advanced search

How to know

(3 Posts)
bloodybell Mon 13-Jul-20 17:59:13

How would I know if my cat would be okay with a kitten?

I have a 3 year old neutered male, he's absolutely lovely and so friendly with people. He's absolutely brilliant with children and he is the perfect cat.

He's an indoor cat and watches the cats that come into the garden, he doesn't puff up (not a clue what the actual term is) or anything, he'll stand on his back legs to get a good look at them but doesn't meow or hiss or anything.

We had a dog visit out home and he did puff up and mainly kept out the way, he didn't eventually venture downstairs and had a sniff of her but didn't massively like her, she isn't abit of a loony, and went back out the way until she left.

I've been thinking of getting a kitten for a while, I think he'll be okay with one but DH doesn't think he will be. I think he's more scared of getting one and causing our boy to be stressed out and then sadly having to rehome the kitten.

Would you just not bother and be happy with the one or give it a go? Or any tips and tricks to make it work, or is it literally just down to the cat?

OP’s posts: |
FatherBrownsBicycle Mon 13-Jul-20 19:08:56

My indoor cat also just looked at cats in the garden. She was adopted and had always been an indoor cat-until DH left the window open!

She is now a cat who loves to be outdoors and her reaction to cats in the garden- compared to her reaction to them when she was inside- is totally different. If you cat is settled and happy I would keep him as a solo cat tbh. It would be awful to bring a new kitten into his territory and for them not get on.

EachandEveryone Mon 13-Jul-20 19:26:21

Why is he indoor only? And would the kitten have to be?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in