Talk

Advanced search

Urrrgh - ticks!

(5 Posts)
LBOCS2 Mon 11-May-20 00:02:54

I'm quite a long time cat owner but I have a problem I'm hoping someone can help with.

We have a tick problem. One of our much beloved family cats keeps coming back from his jaunts with them - I keep a close eye and am removing between 5-10 a week. Apart from the urgh factor (honestly, I can do a flea infestation in my sleep but ticks make me feel a bit ill) both our cats sleep on our DDs beds - one each - and I would rather there was no transfer from cat to human.

We've recently moved a mile (literally) up the road and I'm assuming the closer proximity of the North Downs is the source of the little bastards but I don't know what to do about them. I switched the cats from Advantage to Frontline Plus, and while I've found one dead one since, I also found four very firmly attached and, as it turns out, live ones, this evening.

Any suggestions?

OP’s posts: |
ErrolTheDragon Mon 11-May-20 00:12:43

We changed to Bravecto for our dog a couple of years ago as it's what our vet now recommends - it looks like there's a cat version which may be worth trying.
I think it's probably prescription only, not sure if your vet would be able to prescribe from a phone consultation?

LBOCS2 Mon 11-May-20 00:15:47

I could certainly give it a go, I know that they're (rightly) not doing face to face consultations. It's just all taken me a bit by surprise; we've never had this sort of issue before!

OP’s posts: |
Toddlerteaplease Mon 11-May-20 10:17:54

Get your flea stuff on prescription from the vet. Frontline doesn't work.

Weedsnseeds1 Mon 11-May-20 10:22:00

I use Bravecto and haven't had any ticks since switching from previous treatment a couple of years ago.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in