Talk

Advanced search

Can we get a kitten at the moment?

(8 Posts)
anotherdayanotherdinner Wed 22-Apr-20 22:22:08

My dc have been wanting a kitten for ages, dh and I were planning to get one at some point but had holidays and weekends away booked so we were waiting til the right time. As we have a bit of time on our hands at the moment my dh has suggested we look into getting one now. Does anyone know if that would even be a possibility at the moment? We obviously won't break any social distancing rules but I know you would always see mum and babies together usually. Rescue centres aren't open unfortunately as ideally we would have adopted. I miss having a cat in my life!!!

OP’s posts: |
Pipandmum Wed 22-Apr-20 22:38:28

I would just wait the month or two until the shelters reopen. Otherwise it's private and will probably cost you.

Vinorosso74 Wed 22-Apr-20 22:39:02

Quite a few places are doing adoptions but remotely. Some Cats Protection centres are trialling this. Several other rescues are too-roughly whereabouts are you in the country for some pointers?

thecatneuterer Thu 23-Apr-20 09:06:49

Some rescues are still homing (they are just doing virtual home checks). Most rescues only home kittens in pairs, or a single kitten with its mum. This is because small kittens are much happier with a sibling or mum and become distressed when separated.

If you're in London Celia Hammonds are homing. You can find a full list of your local rescues here: www.catchat.org Also, as kittens are seasonal, we are only just beginning to get a substantial quantity that are old enough to home. They are born twice a year, in Spring and late Summer. Most of the Spring ones are born in March, April and May, but of course they need to be 8 (and preferably ten) weeks old before homing, so the glut is yet to come. In another four to six weeks or so there will be hundreds of thousands needing homes.

anotherdayanotherdinner Thu 23-Apr-20 18:17:47

That's so helpful thank you all. We're in Essex so the London ones might be an option. I'll give it a month or so and start looking around smile

thecatneuterer Thu 23-Apr-20 18:27:29

We (CHAT) serve parts of Essex. Please pm me when you're ready and I'll see what we can do.

Vinorosso74 Thu 23-Apr-20 18:31:14

In that case as thecatneuterer says Celia Hammond. There is a rescue in north east London called The Scratching Post-I think based in Waltham Abbey if you're that part of Essex.

anotherdayanotherdinner Fri 24-Apr-20 15:56:24

@thecatneuterer thank you so much, will do 😀

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in