Advanced search

Best age for spaying

(6 Posts)
Elpheba Fri 10-Apr-20 21:48:13

Wondering what to do about spaying in lock down. We have a pair of siblings- the male, Loki, we managed to get neutered literally two days before the lock down as he’d started spraying and practising on his sister confused
She is 18 weeks on Tuesday and smaller than him so the vet had said it was best to wait. I thought there were signs that she might be coming into season in the last few days but seems to have calmed.
Obviously immediate need for spaying has reduced as they’re not going outside yet and he has been done. But I’m interested to know if there is a recovery time and when the best age is. While we’re at home we’d quite like to be able to introduce them slowly to the garden in a few weeks time but obviously can’t risk that until she has been done. Vet initially said they weren’t spaying as not essential but then emailed yesterday to say they will be if in multi sex household or if they can’t stay inside because the lockdown is being extended. We don’t fall into either category as her brother has been neutered but I wonder if that will change anyway.
What would people advise?
(And pic of Loki in the dolls house because he is adorable!)

OP’s posts: |
Vinorosso74 Fri 10-Apr-20 23:06:40

In an ideal world now but life has changed somewhat! Keep them inside and see how things are in a couple of weeks time.
They are too young to be going out and at least you boy has been done. If she is coming into heat be super careful she doesn't escape.

Vinorosso74 Fri 10-Apr-20 23:07:09

PS. Yes Loki is v cute!

nettie434 Fri 10-Apr-20 23:18:26

I have no practical advice whatsoever Elpheba but until I saw your pic I did not realise how much my life could be improved by a picture of a kitten in (or almost in) a dolls house. Thank you.

Does his sister have a Norse mythology name too?

thecatneuterer Fri 10-Apr-20 23:39:09

Ideal age is 12 to 16 weeks. However there is no routine neutering happening at the moment, so you will need to keep them in until it can be done.

Elpheba Sat 11-Apr-20 07:29:52

Thanks for the responses, just received another email from vet saying let’s hold off as long as possible but to let them know if keeping her in becomes impossible. They are definitely both so much more interested in the outdoors and spend a lot of time stalking the patio doors- I do worry about my just turned 4 year old and 22 month old not closing the door quickly enough... but hopefully we can hold off for a few more weeks.
His sister was called Otto originally as we were told they were both boys- but she then became Freya.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in