Talk

Advanced search

Just had to trim the cats fur and feel awful :(

(27 Posts)
ColouredPolkaDots Sun 09-Feb-20 20:47:42

DCat is a British black domestic long hair, and she is floofy! She's a great cat mostly but her one issue is whenever she does a slightly runny poo it all gets matted into the fur around her bottom and she doesn't seem able to clean it out or really even be bothered that it's there. Her favourite place to sit is also my bed and I often find brown rings on the sheets envy <-- not envy.

Today I changed the sheets and yet again, within half an hour there were two brown rings, lifted her tail up and there's poo in her fur. I can't check every time she poos and even if I'm quick to wipe it, she's a cat so goes off everywhere. So today I had enough and cut about an inch of fluff off around her bottom. She's not happy and I've been clawed a lot but it's done. And now I feel guilty and awful and am trying to reason that she couldn't clean it properly so it needed sorting.

She poos in her litter tray or outside, depending on what takes her fancy, as I've noticed she won't poo outside when it's raining. She's on a diet and not happy about it at the moment too so she's really not getting the usual spoilt life she's used to.

Picture of cat for reference:

ferrier Sun 09-Feb-20 20:50:20

Needs must. I'd have done the same. I need a better picture though. That one looks like a short hair and I do love fluffy cats.

Willow4987 Sun 09-Feb-20 20:52:40

Honestly don’t beat yourself up! One of our cats had bottom issues and would constantly be messing themselves - resulting in lots of wiping and the occasional hose down in the shower when it literally would not come out and was EVERYWHERE!

In the end our groomer (yes they’re that fluffy) has started to shave the bum area to reduce the issue and my god it’s been a life saver! He’s much happier with a shaved bum than being forced to have a wash

Gingerkittykat Sun 09-Feb-20 20:54:52

That's the reason I will never have a long haired cat ever again.

Unfortunately cutting shitty fur from around their bum is going to be part of your life from now on.

Want2beme Sun 09-Feb-20 20:56:13

Don't feel guilty for cutting her poo trews. I had to do the very same last weekgrin. You can ask the vet for a hygiene trim, if you can't face doing it.

She does look a bit stunnedconfused

FiveGoMadInDorset Sun 09-Feb-20 21:01:13

I need a cat groomer, I try to keep on top of Fat Cats fluff but it still defeats me

Willow4987 Sun 09-Feb-20 21:10:50

@FiveGoMadInDorset honestly it’s the best £40 I spent every 12 weeks! The amount of fur she gets out of them and then the bum trim makes it all worth while!!!

AwkwardPaws27 Sun 09-Feb-20 21:17:39

I got our fluffy boy (RIP) clipped round his bum - the veterinary nurse at our practice did it for a small fee.
I'd use clippers if you are doing it yourself - it's much too easy to accidentally nick the skin or otherwise injure a struggling cat with scissors.

ColouredPolkaDots Sun 09-Feb-20 21:32:38

@Willow4987 I can't believe your cat needs a groomer! Wow, they must be a fluff ball!

@Want2beme I know, she was very shocked! I never pin her down aside from flea treatment (the vet does the working tablets) but wrapped her in a towel for the trim and she was not happy.

@FiveGoMadInDorset So much floof!!! It must get everywhere! My cat isn't that fluffy but her tail is almost!

@AwkwardPaws27 I did use the baby scissors as I was too scared to use normal ones! Pathetic, I know, I just didn't want to hurt her confused

ColouredPolkaDots Sun 09-Feb-20 21:34:11

Not great photos I'm sorry, she's black all over and it's dark now!

Sarahlou63 Sun 09-Feb-20 21:35:51

Why do you feel 'awful'? You did what was needed to be done to keep your cat healthy and clean. I call that the actions of a responsible pet owner.

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 09-Feb-20 21:37:31

Mine gets his bum trimmed at the vet. Neither of us like dealing with dangleberries or poo trousers.

Willow4987 Sun 09-Feb-20 21:37:47

@ColouredPolkaDots honestly the groomer gets out what looks like a second cat from him most times.

Toddlerteaplease Sun 09-Feb-20 21:41:25

Don't worry, I had two long haired black Persians. (Only one left) they both needed emergency trips to the vets for a hygiene trim when they had diarrhoea. It was not pretty!! I take Magic to a professional groomer and she does a Hygiene cut and trims all the bloomers.
I once cut a hole in the late Maia trying to get a know out. I was devastated. She didn't care!

Toddlerteaplease Sun 09-Feb-20 21:46:41

Magic in the bath!

Toddlerteaplease Sun 09-Feb-20 21:47:58

@Willow4987 mine does too!

ReflectiveGingernut Sun 09-Feb-20 21:48:30

A few seconds to trim the fur is better than the trauma of having to give them a bath IMO.

I have a pure white long haired cat who is usually very clean, but occassionally he swipes the milk leftover in the cereal bowl if I'm not quick enough at washing it up. The mess is explosive - nothing a trim would be able to prevent. I have to strip down to my underwear and shower him, he hates it, I hate it and the mess is unreal.

zasknbg Sun 09-Feb-20 21:50:28

I've trimmed round my dog's bum. Don't want shit in his hair. He seems perfectly happy with the arrangement! Your cat will get used to it.

MargotLargot Sun 09-Feb-20 21:57:24

I wouldn’t feel guilty at all, you did it for the benefit of the cat. If my cat gets a klingon that she can’t clean, the fur mats and she hates that.

I also trim around my dog’s bum fur. Much easier for her and me, and saves her the embarrassment of the other dogs at the park whispering about her.

ColouredPolkaDots Sun 09-Feb-20 22:44:48

@Sarahlou63 That made me feel better about it all! It was just the meowing and I've never done something like that that scares her before so feel bad for scaring her.

@MrsSchadenfreude I would if the vets wasn't such a stress for the cat! She howls like mad when in her carrier (which is giant)!

@Toddlerteaplease Awwwwww!!! I'm so happy you posted that photo! Magic is adorable!!

@ReflectiveGingernut You're totally right and I'm sorry you have to do that, it truly sounds terrible to deal with.

@MargotLargot Of course not, can't have her be the butt of every other dogs jokes!!

Toddlerteaplease Sun 09-Feb-20 22:51:13

The finished article after her groom.

Toddlerteaplease Mon 10-Feb-20 12:27:56

I'm not convinced the bath is needed unless she's dirty, but the groomer does it anyway. I suspect she actually quite enjoys it. She doesn't make a fuss and lies being wrapped in a towel.

Lamentations Mon 10-Feb-20 12:31:21

Toddler the face in Magic in the bath! Crying and snorting my tea hear.

Lamentations Mon 10-Feb-20 12:31:45

On!

Lamentations Mon 10-Feb-20 12:32:18

And here... ffs.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »