Talk

Advanced search

How much to feed 8mo cat?

(5 Posts)
nomorespaghetti Tue 04-Feb-20 20:56:17

We adopted our 8 month old boy a week ago ❤️ We’re feeding him what they fed him at the shelter, which was 30g Purina One in the morning, and one pouch of Felix in the evening. He absolutely wolfs it down, I’m wondering if it’s not enough? He’s not going out at the moment, but will be in a month or so when he’s all settled in. He’s 3.9kg. Do you think he needs more food? Thank you!

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Tue 04-Feb-20 21:42:52

Doesn't sound like much. We leave dry food out and give wet food twice a day

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 04-Feb-20 21:49:55

What does the pack instructions say for an 8m old? If he’s got growing to do I’d feed more.

Ours stuck doggedly to 4.5 pouches a day throughout his life.

nomorespaghetti Tue 04-Feb-20 22:07:37

The pouches say 3-4 per day, I assume that’s if your cat isn’t also on dry food. The dry food pack says 35-65g per day for a cat of his size, but I’m again assuming that’s if your cat isn’t eating wet food. I will increase his dry food tomorrow morning and see how he goes.

I’ve never had a cat before, but growing up we had many rescue dogs, a few of whom were very obese when we got them, so I’m really used to weighing out pet food and being very strict! I don’t want him to get fat, but i certainly don’t want him to be hungry!

OP’s posts: |
KitKatBox Tue 04-Feb-20 22:15:01

Not enough OP, you are feeding ¼ of the recommended wet food and less than the minimum recommended dry.

My six month old cat has 60g of canagen chicken dried and a pouch of canagen wet kitten. That is ¾ of the recommended dry and ⅓ of the recommended wet. He leaves a bit of dry sometimes.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in