Talk

Advanced search

What to feed kitten?

(9 Posts)
ladybird69 Sat 01-Feb-20 21:38:40

Bit of advice please. I’ve only ever had ‘moggies’ but now have a 7 mth old Ragdoll. She’s been eating what the breeder advised but now she doesn’t want to eat it. I’ve tried everything over the past few months including dried food recommended by vet. This week she’s had d&v so I starved her for a day and then fed plain chicken, which she loved, I’ve never seen her enjoy her meals so much. Is chicken ok to give her as her diet or will she be missing something? Tia

dementedpixie Sat 01-Feb-20 22:23:43

No chicken would not be sufficient to feed her. Are you offering dry and wet food?

ladybird69 Sat 01-Feb-20 23:00:46

I’ve spent about a million pounds on kitten food wet and dried(possibly slight exaggeration) breeder recommended vet recommended and sometimes she’s got 3 dishes on the mat to choose from. She has dried food offered, dried food with warm water and dried food with gravy! She came with kitten pate tins, From zooplus great for a week. Then applause, Emily’s kitten etc
old boy eats Felix and she does nibble that but it’s not kitten formula. The vet advised growth kitten food by royal Canin one cup ful then nope. Can you kind of see how much this is costing me. The only thing she’s keeping down and stools ok is when she’s on just plain chicken. I’m obviously worried about my baby but please I don’t need to go bankrupt trying to find her food.
Ps anyone want to buy kitten food, untouched!!!!!!! 😁 is there any thing to give her similar to chicken or to mix in with chicken to make a healthy diet for her. Tia

DecemberSnow Sat 01-Feb-20 23:03:10

You cant just feed chicken to her, this isnt sufficient

dementedpixie Sat 01-Feb-20 23:07:52

If she eats the stuff your other cat eats then offer that. Better to eat non kitten stuff than nothing

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 02-Feb-20 08:38:42

My Bengal got d&v whenever he ate food with cereals in it. Vet was useless about diet so I had to figure it out on my own. He was losing consciousness one night, that’s how ill he got.

He was ok on Arden grange biscuits (I wanted him to like the organic biscuits but he didn’t) and most pouch foods so gourmet in pouches was ok, but not the little tins.

mohasfluffytoes Sun 02-Feb-20 11:43:16

We have only ever offered ours Hills dry food. Both of ours are grazers so we just leave a bowl out and they help themselves throughout the day. She'll eat if she's hungry.

TheSpottedZebra Sun 02-Feb-20 11:51:02

Another cheap one to try is Sainsburys own brand kitten food - there's dry and there's wet. Ours went onto it when they had dodgy tummies and we were desparately trying to find something they'd eat. It's grain free or cereal free.

Am sure you could google your nearest cat rescue and they'd happily take your unwanted kitten food off your hands.

ladybird69 Sun 02-Feb-20 23:35:10

@Fluffycloudland77 that’s a good call about cereal. I know how important diet is. I had a mastiff that lost most of his coat with an awful smelling fungal infection. £1000 at vets, shampoo cream, antibiotics etc and he was getting worse ! quick chat to a pet shop owner told me to change his food asap, and with the food he recommended our pup was on the mend in just few weeks . I was only talking to a lady in Sainsbury’s today about Sheba and she stressed the pouches not the tins. So going to give that a try. @TheSpottedZebra I’ll try Sainsbury’s kitten food too it’s my nearest supermarket so that would be handy. thanks my friend has already asked for the food as she’s just got 2 new kittens otherwise I would give them to charity.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »