Talk

Advanced search

Tapeworms - effects post Drontal.

(4 Posts)
BlankTimes Thu 30-Jan-20 16:13:11

I've had cats all my life and never seen evidence of tapeworms in our live at home cats until last week.

I ordered some Drontal liquid from a UK vet online to apply to our boycat's skin at the base of his skull and some for girlcat too, as a precautionary measure.

Pre-Drontal application, there were a few small sections of tapeworm where he sleeps on a plush fleece throw on the sofa. envy < not envy.
I removed them with Gorilla tape and washed the throws at 90 degrees with a teaspoon of bleach in the water just in case I'd missed any. Astonishingly, the throws didn't melt, mat, shrink or anything, they were fine. I washed them as above every morning after finding residue on them. More envy boak.

I applied the Drontal on Monday afternoon and he slept most of the day then went out for a couple of hours. Overnight on the throw there were a few sections of tapeworm and what may be a few eggs.
Same Tuesday and Wednesday mornings but getting less each day.
This morning there were only maybe four tiny eggs.

Is this normally what happens?

I'd maybe erroneously thought the Drontal would blast the infestation out of his system the first time he did a poo, which was somewhere outside, and I'm now puzzled that bits albeit in a smaller quantity are still getting onto the throws he's sleeping on.

Please could you let me know has anyone else had this happen and is it normal?

Grumpyoldpersonwithcats Thu 30-Jan-20 16:25:09

I've always used tablets (from the vet) for tapeworm. I've found that the symptoms, i.e. segments appearing, stop almost immediately and always within 24 hours.

BlankTimes Tue 04-Feb-20 20:02:53

Many thanks Grumpyoldpersonwithcats we've had 48 hours free from segments and eggs, so fingers crossed it's over and done with now.

If there's any worm sightings in the future, I'll get the tablets from the vet.

Toddlerteaplease Tue 04-Feb-20 21:11:46

I use Milbemac as the tablets are smaller and easier to get down the girls.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »