Talk

Advanced search

Decent dry food for neutered cats

(10 Posts)
Butterer Sat 18-Jan-20 14:21:27

Hi! My cats are currently on James Wellbeloved indoor dry food, and my vet has recommended switching to food specifically for neutered cats instead
(we're sticking to dry food only bc of dental issues).
I'm going to have to switch brands and am a bit confused as to what to go for.
Ages 2 and 5.

Any suggestions please?
Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Sat 18-Jan-20 14:24:53

Mine dont have specific food for neutered cats. They just eat grain free high meat dry food with a small amount of wet food each day. Are they too heavy? Could you not just give less of the current food, if so?

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sat 18-Jan-20 14:57:06

I've never given mine special food. He has James Wellbeloved senior wet and dry and seems to have done ok on it.

Toddlerteaplease Sat 18-Jan-20 16:51:49

Mine are on Iams and are fine on that. It's the only thing that doesn't make Cheddar sick!

asparalite Sat 18-Jan-20 17:00:41

I don't think vets always give the best advise about pet food, in my experience they like to promote Royal Canin in particular,which doesn't have a very high meat content.
My neutered cat is fed on Lily's Kitchen and a very small amount of wet food.

lljkk Sat 18-Jan-20 17:03:17

special food "for neutered cats" confuses me: shouldn't nearly ALL cats be neutered??

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 18-Jan-20 17:30:18

Our vet said my cats needed to cut out the biscuits (they were getting heavy )

The cats were raging at this (as only cats can be grin )

Mine have Crave but only a few at night time after their supper.

Our male would eat his own bodyweight in biscuits !

thecatneuterer Sun 19-Jan-20 12:41:26

Not all vets agree that dry is better for teeth. Many in fact think the opposite - as dry food tends to stick to teeth whereas wet food doesn't. And as far as I know the main thing about food for neutered cats is that it's lower calorie. I don't think you need to give that specifically and I certainly wouldn't give only dry food either. And if your cats are overweight then often dry food can be a contributory factor as they tend to graze more.

Butterer Sun 19-Jan-20 15:11:55

Thanks all for the advice! I was all set to just stick with what we're currently using til I saw @thecatneuterer 's post grin

Just for a bit more context, my older cat has dental issues - at her health check 12 months ago they said she was fine. Six months later, they said she had a bit of plaque building up so recommended an additive to her food.
The last check (end of nov), they told me they don't recommend the additive stuff any more bc "it doesn't work", and she had one dodgy tooth, gingivitis, and tartar so needed a scale and extraction. Couldn't get her in the box for the Dec appt so they rearranged for Jan. She went at the beginning of this week, and came back with three teeth fewer and 3 more to be taken out shortly.
I'm a bit blush about how bad/how fast it got. And hoping to start brushing her teeth :/

When asking about food, it's gone from 'yes, you should introduce half wet food for hydration' to 'if you give her wet food she will have no teeth'.

Weight wise both are fine.
Aaaaaagh.

Butterer Sun 19-Jan-20 15:16:34

^^ last visit I asked if i should switch to JW oral care/dental, and that's when i got told i should be using specific neutered food.

And thought exactly the same as every other poster who's also gone 'but aren't most cats neutered...?'.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in