Talk

Advanced search

Is there an app or device to track your cat?

(4 Posts)
Crimson72 Fri 03-Jan-20 09:09:11

My cat disappears for hours in the day and I'm so curious to know where he goes! Is there any sort of app or device you can use to track their movements? He is microchipped in case that is a factor.

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
Gingerkittykat Fri 03-Jan-20 09:53:26

You can get tracking devices and also cameras that fit to the collar but they have mixed reviews. My cat regularly loses collars so it would be pointless for me to have a device like this.

Crimson72 Fri 03-Jan-20 10:27:10

My cat doesn't wear a collar so that's not an option unfortunately!

OP’s posts: |
BarbaraofSeville Wed 08-Jan-20 10:13:18

I think the problem with full GPS tracking is that you need quite a hefty gps/battery pack that needs to be attached to a collar, so no good if your cat doesn't wear a collar.

I saw a fascinating documentary a few years ago where they fitted several cats in a village with such devices so they could track their movements, terrotories and interactions.

There is the Sureflap Connect catflap, that monitors their comings and goings so will give you an idea how much time they spend in and out of the house, and also records when they've used the catflap so you can confirm that they are still alive and well if you have a wanderer who sneaks in and out at night and when you are at work, so you might not see them for days.

We find this very useful when we are on holiday as our cat feeder sometimes doesn't see one of our cats as she's mostly outside in the summer, so the chances of her being around during the two half hour visits by the cat lady are quite slim.

Was also useful when we had 4 black cats that were quite hard to tell apart and the cat lady only ever saw 3 at a time, and she didn't know whether it was the same 3 and something had happened to one of them, or if it was a random 3 out of the 4 each time.

www.surepetcare.com/en-gb/advice-news/news/sureflap-microchip-cat-flap-connect-joins-the-sure-petcare-range-of-connected-products

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in