Talk

Advanced search

Is the quiet room needed ?

(5 Posts)
Winona45 Thu 17-Oct-19 14:33:21

Me again.

Adopting boy and gorl 18 weeks on saturday and all the advice I have read has bene about leaving them in a quiet room to start with.

I dont have a spare room and all of downstars is open plan apart from the end of the kitchen ?

Is the quiet room an absolute must or can I just pop them where their litter and food is going to be ?

Also actually thinking about it, should the food and the litter tray be in a different room ?

I'm so nervous, really dont want to get this wrong !

OP’s posts: |
viccat Thu 17-Oct-19 18:15:40

Ideally yes, depends a bit on what your home is like and how busy it is in general? And also depends on the cats' personalities.

Most cats, apart from the most confident ones, tend to be scared in a new environment and will find somewhere to hide. It's a lot to take in a whole new house with new people, and all the sounds and smells of the house that humans aren't even aware of usually. So settling into one room to begin with makes this much easier for them - even your bedroom is better than the whole house at once, at least for the initial opening of the carriers so you can see how they behave initially. They are also at the greatest risk of escaping in the first week when they are scared and don't yet know the home so you'll need to be extra careful about opening windows and doors if you give them freedom to access the whole house.

I do know some cats who just take it all in their stride and seem to settle in right away. Others hide for days under the bed.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Thu 17-Oct-19 18:27:11

We didn't have one, we just let Harry out of his basket and let him get on with it. I'm sure it never used to be a thing.

CMOTDibbler Thu 17-Oct-19 18:39:26

I'd shut them in your bedroom - it is so easy for them to bolt out of the door or a window in an instant. My sibling pair bolted (I told ds not to go in the room) and it was very traumatic trying to trap them again and took weeks.

bellinisurge Thu 17-Oct-19 18:47:34

I used an open door dog crate in my DD's bedroom. It was her base camp from which she explored her soon to be conquered territory.
She now has many fave spots as an adult cat but she still loves DD's room.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in