Talk

Advanced search

Cat cremation help please

(16 Posts)
loulou20106 Sat 05-Oct-19 23:16:27

Hi I'm sorry to be posting this but our cat died tonight and we don't really want to bury her my dh wants to have her cremated so we can keep her with us. I've tried to google but I'm not finding how much it would be or even how you really go about it. Has anyone done this before and could help us please. Thank you sad

OP’s posts: |
GeeIneverthoughtofthat Sat 05-Oct-19 23:21:35

So sorry to hear of the loss of your lovely cat. You can ask your vets for details of local facilities.

If you are in the south east then Dignity is highly recommended. There is a facebook page - Dignity Pet Crematorium and a website with full details. All mine have gone there and they are very caring.

Defender90 Sat 05-Oct-19 23:21:39

Sorry for your loss.

Not a cat but we had both dogs cremated.

You can contact a local pet crematorium or have it done via your vet (both our dogs were put to sleep by the vet so they just took care of everything) we picked little urns etc.

Toddlerteaplease Sat 05-Oct-19 23:30:25

My vet took care of it all. Think it cost £100 ish, or there may be a pet crematorium locally as others have said.

ClumpingKate Sat 05-Oct-19 23:43:33

Sorry for your loss 💐
Where in the country are you? Someone may be able to suggest somewhere. If not, your vet will know.

Ilovetolurk Sat 05-Oct-19 23:48:24

Sorry about the loss of your cat flowers

TimeIhadaNameChange Sat 05-Oct-19 23:49:16

I can recommend a fantastic crem near Inverness if you're anywhere near.

UrsulaPandress Sat 05-Oct-19 23:53:55

Whereabouts are you?

NotMyFinestMoment Sat 05-Oct-19 23:54:38

I used Surrey Pet Cemetery in Godstone, Surrey and they were amazing. It may not be in your part of the world but their website may give you an idea of what is involved and potential prices, etc. They took my cat straight from the vets after he was put to sleep, and stored him until I went up to see him on the day he was cremated. They also allowed me to spend time with him prior to the cremation and had him curled up in a little basket with a blanket for me to see him in a private room. He looked beautiful and looked as if he was fast asleep. They also took a paw print and kept some of his fur for me. He was a member of my family so this meant an awful lot to me. His ashes came back in a beautiful little box with his name on it. They have an actual pet cemetery there if you do not have anywhere to bury your pet or spread their ashes and are open for you to visit all year around. Sorry for your loss Xxx www.surrey-pet-cemetery.co.uk/

saraclara Sat 05-Oct-19 23:56:28

Yep, call your vet in the morning. They can organise it.

Have a quick google to see if there's a pet crem near you, though, as it would probably be cheaper to deal directly with them.

I'm sorry for your loss. My 19 year old cat died a couple of months ago. It's hard.

loulou20106 Sun 06-Oct-19 14:29:39

Thank you everyone, we've decided to bury her in the garden tomorrow as I just can't bear the thought of her being cremated. The kids keep asking about her I've told them that she's run away with her cat friends, but I don't think they buy it. They are 4 & 2 sad

ClumpingKate Sun 06-Oct-19 15:06:12

If you're burying at home, make sure you dig a deep enough hole and perhaps lay some rocks or bricks on top. Foxes are bastards.

YesQueen Sun 06-Oct-19 15:10:04

If you wanted to then take a little bit of fur, I am having some of my horses tail made into resin for 3 stacking rings and the women who is doing them is v reasonable cost wise thanks
I'm so sorry

loulou20106 Sun 06-Oct-19 15:19:10

@ClumpingKate that is a good idea I forgot the same thing happened to my grandparents cat, they even started digging like a trench to get him out the hole I don't know how he got rid of them in the end.

@YesQueen that is a really nice idea I think I will do that. It feels like it will never get better I'm okay for a bit then they start asking if she's coming back and I just think shit. Just cannot believe she's gone we didn't get any warning at all nothing.

MontStMichel Tue 08-Oct-19 10:21:18

We asked our vets to come and put the cat to sleep at home, and then have her cremated individually so we could scatter her ashes on our back garden, which she loved. I think all in it was £250, about 5 years ago. The ashes came in a tasteful container and box, in a bag.

For us and the DC, who grew up with her, it was money well spent!

DD cut a bit of her fur off, before the vet took her away to keep in a locket.

Toddlerteaplease Tue 08-Oct-19 10:34:47

I still have Maia's ashes in a box. My plan was to scatter them in my friends beautiful garden. As I was renting my house at the time. I've now bought that house but it just feels right having her in the house. So she's in the cupboard! I did get a glass ornament with her ashes in it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in