Talk

Advanced search

Help needed preparing for kitten's arrival

(4 Posts)
Shitonthebloodything Sat 31-Aug-19 21:30:03

We are bringing home a 9 week old kitten on Monday. He is from the local petting farm and they have been handled lots by children and adults from 2 weeks. It is a working farm though so they've been given free reign. All others have homes so taking two wasn't an option this is the last little one left.
He seemed very happy to be handled and even snuggled up to sleep on me within a couple of minutes but I also saw him growl and hiss at their dog at it went past (I didn't know cats could growl!!)

I'm wondering if there's anything I should do to help him settle into family life away from the free reign of the farm. I'll also need to flea and worm treat and just in case. Can I do that both on day 1?

Any tips on affordable food and how often to feed? Will he need kitten milk?

Any other tips muchly appreciated, our only other cat was an indoor pedigree that came to us a bit older with a special diet, grooming regime etc she couldn't cope with the baby's arrival and hated us. We had to re-home her in the end for her own good as she was terrified.

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Sat 31-Aug-19 21:49:27

Visit a vet to get flea/worm treatment. Keep giving the same food and introduce new stuff gradually. No to kitten/cat milk, they don't need it

Dollymixture22 Mon 02-Sep-19 23:47:50

I go i my kitten when she was a little younger - she was from a farm

Defiantly go to vet for flea and worm treatment. They will weigh her and because she has been on a farm make sure she gets the right stuff.

She will also need vaccinations and a general check up.

She will be bored after roaming. I bought big, crinkly tunnels from amazon. Hours of fun. And ping ping balls. And a small teddy (which she still carries around in her mouth). Lots of fleecy blankets.

5e best quality food you can afford, grain free and high meat content. Vet recommended kitten milk, but she was younger than yours. She still likes it as a treat, and it was a good way to get her to drink in the summer.
Good link!!

Dollymixture22 Mon 02-Sep-19 23:48:02

Luck not link

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in