Talk

Advanced search

Odd and slightly gross question about cat sick

(13 Posts)
RedForShort Thu 29-Aug-19 16:27:40

RedCat is 5. He's never been sick (or more correctly sick in the house or garden). So I have no experience nor have I seen a cat get sick.

This morning I came down to a pile of something on the back door mat. I presume it to be cat sick, as what else would it be, but what's confusing me is

It looked just like cold porridge
It didn't smell
There was a lot it (slightly bigger than a tennis ball).

He seems totally fine. Ate this morning, acting normal (well normal cat normal).

I'm feeling quite discombobulated to be honest. So y slightly gross question is what does cat sick look and smell like?

(He's actually due for a health check / boosters in the next few weeks, so would be going to the vets soon anyway.)

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Thu 29-Aug-19 17:28:19

I haven't found that cat sick is that smelly. It often looks like a pile of soggy dry food that has been swallowed without being chewed properly first

Shadow01 Thu 29-Aug-19 17:29:17

Boycat is a vomity cat, it doesn’t smell of sick like human vomit does.

HardAsSnails Thu 29-Aug-19 17:31:29

Also have a vomity cat, and agree it doesn't smell. It's very odd, doesn't seem to matter what it is, catfood, prey, grass or hairballs. It never smells.

RedForShort Thu 29-Aug-19 18:05:34

dementedpixie - I suppose expanded dry food might look like porridge/dried expanded weetabix!

Well makes me less confused. It was a really "well I know it must be , but how can it be!!".

Wonder if the lack of smell is an evaluation thing!!

elephantoverthehill Thu 29-Aug-19 18:10:13

With my cat there is usually a tale tell blade of grass in the sick.

Toddlerteaplease Thu 29-Aug-19 18:15:00

Cheddar is a vomiter I've never seen so much sick come out of a cat. (And it's more than some kids at work produce. I'm a paediatric nurse) it doesn't smell. Some cats are just more sicky than others. Magic has never properly vomited even when critically ill.

Newcatmum Thu 29-Aug-19 18:16:07

One of mine was sick a couple of nights ago. At first I found two small watery puddles next to the litter tray, basically just like bile. Then I found a small pile of mousse looking stuff. I thought it was diarrhoea at first but the colour was too light and there was no smell. I think it was my smallest kitten as he's the greedy one that eats everything in sight (some undercooked fish that I'd left sitting on the worktop while I ran to the toilet blush)

ALadyofLetters Thu 29-Aug-19 18:16:35

Sounds like cat sick to me. Ours do three types of vomit:

1) frothy and white with grass in it
2) partly digested cat biscuits
3) regurgitated rodent.

Sounds like you got a 2.

Mustbetimeforachange Thu 29-Aug-19 18:17:32

Ours usually has mouse in it, but it doesn't smell. To be honest it usually looks more like poo than vomit as it's either mouse or a furball (which are long, not ball shaped when they come up). Occasionally undigested dry food.

Newcatmum Thu 29-Aug-19 18:40:16

3) regurgitated rodent.

😩😩😩

RedForShort Thu 29-Aug-19 18:41:04

Should I be concerned though? He simply won't use a litter tray (unless under duress) so can't say if he's go diarrhoea too.

I'm slightly paranoid now as he's lost weight. Now I deliberately controlled his diet to lose weight, as he was becoming a fat cat, but I was a little concerned he lost weight too easily. (Especially as I'm told it's difficult to get cats to lose weight - especially ones that hang outside of many neighbouring house pretending they haven't eaten in years.

Now I don't mean he lost weight quick, but once I started monitoring his diet he actually lost weight. I was worried he was actually ill rather than losing weight due to controlled diet. hmm

It may, or may not, come across that I find having a cat makes me worry about everything to do with their welfare. I think it's because he doesnt speak English very well.

DrDreReturns Thu 29-Aug-19 18:54:19

Dre cat was sick the other night after eating a spider shock It was watery and didn't smell at all
Hopefully he'll have learnt his lesson!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in