Talk

Advanced search

Insurance claims

(7 Posts)
SmellMySmellbow Fri 23-Aug-19 10:08:15

So my cat is at the vet now having sedation amd an absess drained and flushed. He had one treatment a week ago for £60 which didn't work (but which I paid for), a consult yesterday for £35 during which they said they'd need to have him in today for treatment costing £250. When I said I would claim on insurance they said they would lump in the £35 consult (so I've not paid) and the previous £60 could be claimed too as it's for the same incident. So, when I pick him up later, will I need to find £285 to pay them then claim back (less excess) or will they claim it from the insurers themselves? Never made an insurance claim so no idea and my paperwork doesn't say. Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
viccat Fri 23-Aug-19 11:18:04

Usually unless it's specifically agreed in advance with the vet's, you will pay the full amount when collecting your pet and insurance will then pay you afterwards (less any excess).

SmellMySmellbow Fri 23-Aug-19 13:57:01

Thought that might be the case. Damn. I'm betting I won't see that money for a while too!

Lamentations Fri 23-Aug-19 14:13:15

I paid, filled in the paperwork, attached the receipts and sent it off. A cheque for the bill minus the excess arrived within a week or do. Petplan that was.

SmellMySmellbow Fri 23-Aug-19 16:25:49

Seems I have a lovely vet! They asked what my excess was (£85), took off the £60 I already paid so I just gave them £25 plus £9 handling fee and they're sorting the rest. Hurrah! Poor cat looks awful, shaved head and huge bleeding wound, but seems fine in himself.

Els1e Sat 24-Aug-19 08:00:06

Glad your cat is on the mend if a little odd looking. I’ve claimed off insurance before. Payment has been within a week of claim, so I just put vet bill on credit card.

SmellMySmellbow Sat 24-Aug-19 11:24:27

He really doesn't trust me now and refuses to come into the house! He'll let me stroke him if I go outside but obviously thinks I'm going to shove him in a box again and take him to the Bad Place or force pills down his throat! (Thankfully he has a 2 week antibiotic injection and painkillers are a liquid I put on his meat as he will not let me pick him up now!)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in