Talk

Advanced search

Introducing a new kitten: same or different gender?

(10 Posts)
AuldAlliance Mon 19-Aug-19 13:47:48

We have a 2.5yr old female cat; she is very sociable and relaxed, but does have territorial clashes now and then with the neighbours' cat who like to sleep in our garden.

We are planning to take a kitten from our friend's new litter. I've read conflicting advice as to whether it's better to take another female or whether getting a male would be preferable. I appreciate that the individual cats' personalities are a major factor, but wondered whether there is a rule of thumb.

Can anyone advise?

OP’s posts: |
Grumpyoldpersonwithcats Mon 19-Aug-19 19:55:37

My experience is that female cats are generally less tolerant than males - so getting a boy kitten might be slightly easier for you.
As an aside - I think that you define a cat by sex not gender, unless someone tells me that trans cats are a thing.

thethoughtfox Mon 19-Aug-19 20:34:18

You can get a Feliway Friends plug in for this situation. It mimics mama cat's hormones so eases anxiety and promotes bonding among cats. We got a new male kitten and there have been some wrestling with my older male cate but they are best friends in less than a month.

AuldAlliance Mon 19-Aug-19 20:45:49

Thanks, both of you.
I'd have said "sex", but all the sites I consulted used "gender", so I blindly followed...I'll do better next time.

Grumpyoldpersonwithcats Mon 19-Aug-19 20:49:55

AuldAlliance
No problem- it was meant as a frivolous comment grin

LilyRose1236 Mon 19-Aug-19 21:17:56

Do not get a young male cat - females are very dominant and gate having a male in the mix. Get another female

MitziK Tue 20-Aug-19 17:51:02

Young males are twats to older females. I am referring to cats honest.

They might still squabble, but two females are less likely to continue hostilities after neutering.

DTwatCat #1 is probably trans, though. I'm sure he thinks he's a dog in the wrong body.

AuldAlliance Wed 21-Aug-19 10:57:04

Thanks for all your replies.

Looks as though a female would be infinitely preferable.

sweetkitty Wed 21-Aug-19 20:36:57

I have a one year old male and feline and last month got another male kitten. He gets on great with both of them but especially the other boy. The female is quiet and more sensible but she has her crazy moments and has a really good play with the kitten.

smartcarnotsosmartdriver Wed 21-Aug-19 20:38:29

We had a 2 year old female when we brought a 10 month old female home. They get on just grand, they'll never snuggle up together but they enjoy each other's company.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in