Talk

Advanced search

Cat with high bilirubin (jaundice), sore mouth

(10 Posts)
snowqu33n Thu 08-Aug-19 15:21:58

DCat has always been small and had little appetite. We were given her when she was a stray kitten.
Last year, she stayed with husband while I took DC to stay with grandparents in another country for a few weeks last summer. When I came back she was poorly and not eating. I noticed she had swollen lymph glands and took her to emergency vet.
Lymphoma was suspected.
Our regular vet treated her with steroids and one round of chemo.
She seemed better, and began eating again. Vet did ultrasounds, bloods, etc. but found bilirubin a bit high and white blood cells a bit low.
We moved house and went to a new vet and handed over the previous vets notes. Went through all the tests again, including FIV, FeLV and indicators for Feline peritonitis. All came back negative.
Vet thought initial diagnosis of lymphoma was incorrect.
Cat still not eating well and seemed to have sore mouth.
Vet continued with steroids and a round of antibiotics every other month. The cat seemed stable but lived on a diet of Dreamies and Crispy Kisses.
The weather has been hot this last month and when went back to the vet, our usual vet had left the practice and the other vet put her on allergy medicine. Her mouth has got sorer and sorer. She barely eats and bilirubin levels are higher, bright yellow pee.
The vet has given a painkiller injection which worked for a couple of days, and a steroid injection. He seems reluctant to give her the antibiotics that worked before.
I will take her back tomorrow but not sure whether to
a) insist on the antibiotics and see if there is improvement
b) have her PTS as she seems never to have been quite well for any length of time this last year and is pretty miserable right now

The surgery is closed all next week for a holiday and I don’t want her to suffer for that time if the antibiotics don’t help.
On the other hand, she is only 3 and a very friendly and gentle creature. A few weeks ago she was rolling happily in the sunshine.

Any advice? I think the jaundice comes from not eating due to sore mouth. This latest vet thinks it is due to an auto-immune problem.

We love DCat but she cries when I give her pills because of sore mouth and I am getting just so weary of worrying about whether she is suffering.

OP’s posts: |
thecatneuterer Thu 08-Aug-19 16:30:12

Oh gosh. I don't have any advice. But surely there must be a vet open somewhere even if yours is closed? So if you did decide not to PTS immediately you must be able to find a vet where that could be done next week, even if it's not your regular one?

HappyHammy Thu 08-Aug-19 18:04:30

Poor kitty, the jaundice is not because shes not eating, does she have an infection somewhere or problems with her liver system, has she had an xrays or scan. If she cant eat drink or take any medication she will not get better and I would take her to the vet asap.

Toddlerteaplease Thu 08-Aug-19 19:22:23

Has she been checked for triaditis?

snowqu33n Thu 08-Aug-19 22:32:29

Has had both X-rays and at least two scans, nothing unusual found.
Next week is a national holiday week called Obon which is when most places close (we are not UK).
I will ask the vet about emergency cover.
Triaditis - I will ask the vet, thanks.
She ate a little bit overnight.
I have been giving her some soft kitten food as extra when her mouth is sore but she prefers the biscuit treats usually. She will take just a few mouthfuls to keep herself going and then stop.

snowqu33n Thu 08-Aug-19 22:38:06

She hasn’t had diarrhea and rarely vomits.

Mia184 Fri 09-Aug-19 09:16:09

OP, I found an interesting article on jaundice in cats: www.manhattancats.com/article-archive/hepatic-liver-disorders/jaundice-when-your-cat-turns-yellow/ The last three paragraphs might be of interest to you since they are about a cat that also refused to eat - and got cured. I hope it helps.

snowqu33n Fri 09-Aug-19 09:47:56

Thanks for the link, hopefully we will get a good outcome for DCat too.
The vet gave her a drip for fluids and vitamins, and injections of painkillers and antibiotics. She has since eaten a bowl of purée. Once she has eaten a bit more, the vet has a medicine he thinks will help for the bilirubin.
Fingers crossed.

Vinorosso74 Fri 09-Aug-19 15:39:05

At a routine senior blood screening our old cat has ridiculously high readings for some of the liver stuff (I can't remember exactly what now). She had a small stone in her bile duct which was eventually removed by a referral vets.
Anyway after discussion the vet thought a non invasive treatment plan was a good first option. She had two antibiotics, another tablet which eased the bile flow (I think) and Denmarin which aids liver function. This treatment was successful for a time so you could ask the vet about Denmarin?
It may also be worth asking for appetite stimulation medication too.

Toddlerteaplease Fri 09-Aug-19 21:15:25

My cat has jaundice when she had pancreatitis/ triaditis. Caused by a necrotic lymph node under her chin.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in