Talk

Advanced search

Zylkene

(4 Posts)
TimeIhadaNameChange Tue 16-Jul-19 19:35:40

TimeCat has been overgrooming for years. At least three vets have seen her, and haven't been overly keen to do anything about it. To be fair although there were noticeable bald patches the skin was never red and inflamed and there would generally be a covering of fur (albeit 1mm long!) so none saw it as too great a problem. I admit it's bothered me more than TimeCat, I'm sure!

Anyway, over the years I've tried Feliway, antihistamines (on the vet's advice) and switched her to grain-free food to no avail. I started her on Zylkene two weeks ago and gosh - the difference was noticeable after a week. There's more fur on her tummy than she's had there for years. Proper tufty fur. It's amazing!

Does anyone know how long I can keep her on it?

Toddlerteaplease Tue 16-Jul-19 20:12:32

I think you can use it indefinitely. It's the equivalent of us having a mug of Horlicks before bed apparently. My parents cat had it for the same reason. But he doesn't need it anymore.

viccat Wed 17-Jul-19 11:40:13

Yes you can keep her on it for life.
Top tip: the larger size dog capsules work out cheaper - just open it and give the cat dose equivalent amount of the powder from it daily. As it's a supplement rather than a medication the exact dosage isn't that important.

TimeIhadaNameChange Wed 17-Jul-19 15:06:32

I LOVE the idea of it being a 'mug of Horlicks before bed' - no wonder she loves it so much! Glad to hear that it worked for your parents' cat, @Toddlerteaplease - I'm hoping I'll be able to wean her off it eventually, but it's good to hear it's fine to keep her on it if needsbe.

Thanks for that tip, @viccat - I'll get some of the larger capsules then when she finishes the cat ones.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »