Talk

Advanced search

Best way to move cats

(9 Posts)
wonderstuff Mon 15-Jul-19 17:12:19

We're moving next week, have two cats. On actual moving day what is best, I think it would be best to box them up at the beginning of the day, dh thinks that they'll be in cages for too long and we should leave them as late as possible. We're only moving about a mile up the road so in theory we can return and catch them later if they scarper, but obviously that's not ideal. They're just under 1 so still quite flighty.

Toddlerteaplease Mon 15-Jul-19 19:08:39

I would put mine in a cattery. Just fr peace of mind

TheBrockmans Mon 15-Jul-19 19:14:13

Do you have a room ? Bathroom which you can empty early on and leave them in there and then when you can get into new property move them to a similar room in the new house. Or go for cattery.

wonderstuff Mon 15-Jul-19 19:14:57

Yes maybe that's the thing to do, they've never been to a cattery before, we've had cat sitters come to us when we've gone away.. I've moved a cat before, I just can't remember how..

NannaNoodleman Mon 15-Jul-19 19:20:11

We shut our girls in an empty room while the old house was emptied. Then we put a rug and some of our bedding (so they could smell us) in the new house bathroom (with a litter tray) and shut them in their while our belongings were delivered to the new house.

We unpacked a few bits before we let them out so the house had areas that were homey.

HardAsSnails Mon 15-Jul-19 19:24:09

It really depends on the cats. We've done cattery for a day as well as waiting until packed before putting cat in carrier. Just make sure the cat has a secure room and everyone knows to be careful at the new house when you're unloading and shifting stuff about.

YesItsMeIDontCare Mon 15-Jul-19 19:28:21

We emptied our bedroom first, then shut Leroy in there with his tray, food and favourite cardboard box.

He wasn't happy, but he seems quite content with his little furry life now and no signs of major long term trauma.

Good luck! 😊

ContinuityError Mon 15-Jul-19 20:04:22

We’ve done both ways - into a cattery for a couple of days for a very local move (so they missed all the packing / loading / unloading stuff), or shut in a quiet room whilst packing / van loading going on for a long move. Good removals firms will work round pets. Zylkene or Feliway should help too.

wonderstuff Mon 15-Jul-19 20:08:03

Thanks all, yes I think shutting in a room would work, I think before we were always renting and moved ourselves over a couple of days whereas now buying and selling so need to do everything quickly. Going to knock cats off the stuff I’m worrying about list and get on with actual packing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »