Talk

Advanced search

black cat outside house meowing at night

(7 Posts)
TheCatThatDanced Mon 15-Jul-19 14:45:23

The family sadly had the pet cat (DCat) put to sleep a couple of weeks ago. Fine, we are all upset etc.

But since then I suppose starting about a week ago (it may have been before but we didn't notice it), there's been a black cat (I think male/tom) in the garden from approx midnight to through the night, meowing plaintively on and off for a good few hours. If anyone goes out to see if it's ok the cat runs away.

AFAIK, it isn't fighting or mating - not those noises.

What on earth could it be? We are in an area of suburban London where there are a lot of cats.

Grumpyoldpersonwithcats Mon 15-Jul-19 14:50:27

Sorry about the loss of your pet.
If your new visitor is a stray you have a new cat who has spotted a cat shaped hole smile.
Conversely he could have been mates with your old cat and is looking for him?

TheCatThatDanced Mon 15-Jul-19 15:07:02

Grumpyoldpersonwithcats - thanks re our loss.

I'm not sure we (the family) want a new pet - just yet anyway.

That's the thing - my old (well he was young, 5) did have a frenemy who lives next door and apparently misses him but it wasn't this black cat.

I have no idea if this cat is a stray or not either, his meows are just so plaintive and so late at night/early hours! I just hope he/she is ok.

Vinorosso74 Mon 15-Jul-19 15:17:42

Sorry about our old cat especially at only 5 sad
I would suggest a paper collar to see if it has owners but if it runs away well that won't help! You could ask around/leaflet see if anyone knows it as a first step.
After our old girl was PTS we also suddenly got a feline visitor who would look in the back door. He was quite the confident fella mind! He ran out the back door with the feather duster one day. He was most put our when he spotted our new lad; he and his humans moved not long after.

TheCatThatDanced Mon 15-Jul-19 16:39:58

Vinorosso74 - I think you were on my previous thread - yes he was PTS at 5, too soon and now we are wondering whether Fitzpatricks (don't mind naming them) gave him too high a dose of steroids as it was very high, even our usual vet said that. Not that happy with Fitzpatricks overall...

I think if I get near enough I will try a paper collar but doubtful and then how would it stay on?! I think will ask around too maybe leaflet.

Vinorosso74 Mon 15-Jul-19 18:21:17

Ah yes I remember now. That isn't good od the steroid dose was too high. Is it worth complaining at all??
Our old cat went to a referral vets and I was worried the vet would be like him!!!! As it happened the vet we saw and the one who operated were nothing like him!

TheCatThatDanced Tue 16-Jul-19 10:40:02

Vinorosso74 - sadly I think Fitzpatrick (sorry to have name them but they were the vet!) wouldn't listen to a complaint now and the last time we tried to contact the neurologist before he was PTS she didn't get back to us.

It was my mum who alerted me to the fact the steroid dose was too high as I didn't know but she takes steroids for her medication.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »