Talk

Advanced search

Fussy Cat!

(6 Posts)
CatNinja Mon 15-Jul-19 13:02:58

I know feeding cats is one of those things where there are lots of different opinions, but I am looking at gathering some opinions on things to try feeding my cat.

Background - She's 3 and a half, we got her from a charity to whom she'd been handed in heavily pregnant. After the kittens were adopted to others, she was neutered and we brought her home. At her vet-checkup, the vet told me that her skin seemed to be irritated - there could be various causes, but most likely were flea allergy (although no sign of fleas and she's treated monthly) or food allergies. She came to us eating Purina One Kitten food (dry) as she was very skinny and the rescue were trying to get her to gain weight, along with a pouch of Felix as good as it looks a day.

After the first 2 weeks, I gradually switched her dry food to a grain-free, single protein source food (James Wellbeloved Turkey), and then started trying lots of different wet foods that again were higher quality protein and grain free. She is so fussy though! Although she's been fine with the dry food switch, she'll wolf down one type of wet food one day, then not even touch it another day! She seemed keen on the HiLife tuna ones, but now won't touch them at all! The last 2 weeks she's been happy with the Applaws little tins in fish flavours, but I'm reluctant to bulk-buy in case she goes off them!
Her coat is a lot better, and her skin seems fine now after about 6 weeks of better-quality food, the vet said her skin seems fine now.

Any advice on other types of food (wet or dry) to try? All tips most welcome as I had no idea cats could be so picky!

dementedpixie Mon 15-Jul-19 13:04:10

I give different things at each meal so it isn't always the same brand or flavour

Blondiejay24 Mon 15-Jul-19 13:09:33

We now use the hills prescription diet for my two. One of my cats recently started bleeding when urinating and now I avoid all the typical brands (whiskers/ felix etc) as she was going down hill and it wasn’t looking positive. Had various tests done and found crystals in her urine. Anyway, I decided to try the hills dry cat food as they do drink plenty of water and 6 weeks later she is a different cat. Glossy coat, gained a little weight as she was looking scrawny. She’s much happier and no more blood or UTI.
I know it’s not the same ailments, but they do quite a varied selection, and although a little pricey they large bag (forget the weight) lasts my two cats a full month. I now just buy purina wet food (same prescription mind you for cats with urinary problems) and they will have them without problems. Mine were the same. They’d go off Pouches so quickly. Now they’re on a dry diet of quality food and they only have wet food as a treat and I don’t seem to be having the same problems now.

HelloJackieYouLookNice Mon 15-Jul-19 20:25:03

I have a similarly fussy cat. She eats a mix of Applaws (she likes chicken, chicken and pumpkin, chicken and cheese, tuna and tuna and cheese, sometimes ocean fish. She won’t touch the salmon or prawn ones) and Blink (not salmon and not turkey though!).

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 15-Jul-19 20:29:52

I swap mine over regularly, he never gets a chance to go off something.

CatNinja Wed 17-Jul-19 11:16:33

Thanks for the tips! Tried another new one last night - it was rejected. Will try a few more so that I can find a selection of things that can be rotated.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »