Talk

Advanced search

Best age to neuter?

(7 Posts)
ISayWhatNow Sun 14-Jul-19 23:37:53

I have a ten week old male kitten (a surprise addition to our household but we're totally in love with him, he's gorgeous!) and I'm not sure when would be best to neuter him? Also - he hasn't had his jabs yet, when are those due??

I know MN rules - obligatory kitten photo below smile

TastingTheRainbow Sun 14-Jul-19 23:53:47

He’s gorgeous!!

Vaccinations are at 9 and 12 weeks so do the first one once he’s settled and the second one 3 weeks later.

Neutering is best at around 4 months old, before he develops typical tom cat behaviour.

thecatneuterer Mon 15-Jul-19 00:15:12

Exactly what Tasting said.

Vinorosso74 Mon 15-Jul-19 07:59:13

He is a little bit cute! Most vets will neuter at 4 months but occasionally some people on here have done across this who won't until 6 months so I would change vets.
Make sure you get him microchipped too and keep the details up to date.

ISayWhatNow Mon 15-Jul-19 17:33:41

Thanks! I've booked him in for a whole kitten MOT - full health check, first jabs, first flea and wormer, first month of pet insurance for free.

I'm surprised you have to wait so long. With my dog I had him neutered at 12 weeks. I wonder what the difference is?

swampytiggaa Mon 15-Jul-19 17:37:30

My lady kittens are being done at 4 months and having the microchip in at the same time 🙂

I had my kittens checked and jabbed at vets at home... your deal sounds similar 🙂

I’ve added a photo 😉

Vinorosso74 Mon 15-Jul-19 18:02:55

Some rescues neuter before then but depends on the vet they use as some prefer to wait until the kitten is a bit bigger.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »