Talk

Advanced search

Cat won’t come home due to new dog.

(59 Posts)
Lovemusic33 Tue 09-Jul-19 22:11:11

Sorry, i posted before about my cat and getting a new dog. My cat was quite down after losing his best friend (our old dog). I made the choice to get another dog in hope the cat would bond with it like he did our old dog but things haven’t gone to plan. The rescue dog was cat tested, I saw it with cats and he totally ignored them. My cat was obviously anxious when he spotted a new dog in his home but after a day or 2 he ventured in, he sniffed around the dog and the dog was actually scared of him (hid behind me), the cat then attacked the new dog, clawed his face, the dog yelled and I told the cat off. Since then the cat has not been in the house, he has come into the garden but the dog barked at him as he’s scared he’s going to scratch him, cat then runs, dog then chases.

I knew the cat would be unsettled but he’s now refusing to come home. It’s been ten days now, the cat is hanging around as I see him from time to time (under my car or next door, he’s fine with next doors dog 😐), I put food out for him and he takes it from the front door but won’t come in. The dog is kept behind a stair gate so the cat can have free run of upstairs and half of downstairs but this doesn’t seem to be good enough.

I’m not sure what to do, the dog was fine with cats until mine attacked him and the cat has always been ok with dogs (we have had 2 others).

Is it just a case of waiting for him to come home? Is there anything else I can do to encourage him in? The dog is here to stay and will be fine as long as the cat doesn’t get too close like he did the other night.

Lovemusic33 Tue 16-Jul-19 18:27:23

He’s slowly getting braver and will come in for food, has come into the living room through the back door and walked past the dog. He’s still not sleeping indoors but he’s coming in a lot more (2-3 times a day) to sniff around.

NoSquirrels Tue 16-Jul-19 20:17:56

Oh good! The more he comes in and nothing happens the easier it will get. Keep up the bribing with Dreamies and tuna!

StillMedusa Wed 17-Jul-19 09:37:45

We have a similar scenario.. two cats (well one and half as Obie is so unfaithful) and picked up our puppy last weekend.
Obie couldn't care less.. he never comes in the living room, but eats then goes upstairs for a kip, so he saw puppy (behind stairgate) and went 'meh..where's my dinner?'
Ophie we knew would not be happy. So weeks prior we set the crate out, plugged feliway all around the house, and started leaving ds1s window open as she sometimes comes in that way anyway.
First day... saw puppy in garden and ran off.
Day 2 came to the upstairs window and ate dreamies there... shouted at me how I had ruined her life and then went to sulk in next door's garden.
Day three.. came into the bedroom and had a cuddle on the bed and food, and ventured to the stairs.
Today... came in, ate food, came into my bedroom for a cuddle, walked downstairs and had dreamies in the kitchen, glared at sleeping puppy and then went back upstairs to sleep..she's there now.

Puppy will NOT be allowed upstairs until she is a much older calmer dog. Realistically I am expecting it will take many months before Ophie feels ok to be in the room, and until then we are taking it in turns to give her maximum fuss upstairs. (Ds1 is delighted that she slept with him last night!)

I really do think the feliway plug in is helping. I was desperately worried that she would run away, but DS2 is an adult with autism and mild learning disability and the ONLY thing he has ever asked for was a dog to love. Now I am reasonably sure she isn't going to run away and has made amazing progress for just 4 days..she's never been near a dog before.

She is getting lots of dreamies....

BlackDogWhiteCat Wed 17-Jul-19 11:22:54

we have similar to medusa
We have 2 cats aged 15 and 4, they love each other and sleep and eat together.
We have had a puppy since April (he's now 6 months old) The puppy isn't allowed upstairs and we have a gate in place.
The cats were abit wary at first, ran upstairs and hid. (they have their own room and all of upstairs)
Now they sit on the stairs and old cat will touch noses with puppy through the gate. They go in and out at their leisure but prefer it if dog is in another room when they do so. The young cat has come into the lounge when puppy is in there, just walked round and left....I feed the cats upstairs and they sleep on my bed where they are spoilt with Dreamies. Puppy is a large Lab so i think he's abit bouncy for them at the moment. I think it's going to take a while longer yet but things are improving.

Ginmel Wed 17-Jul-19 14:06:32

Fancy seeing you here @Lovemusic33 and boy you got a hard time on here. Hope everything is settling down and you are feeling better too

LittleLongDog Wed 17-Jul-19 14:18:49

I’m glad the cat’s coming back. Don’t rush things now that it’s looking positive.

IMO the dog should be scared of the cat at the moment. The cat has to be able to put the dog in it’s place, it’s much more vulnerable than the dog and feels so. Don’t tell it off for hissing/swiping. Dogs bounce back from a telling off much quicker than cats do (as you’ve found out).

Lovemusic33 Wed 17-Jul-19 19:53:33

The cats been in and out throughout the day today, even managed cuddles in the garden with the dog near me (me in between them), at one point the cat walked up to the dog and rubbed himself along the dog. The dog then decided he would chase the cat but the cat didn’t run and swiped the dogs nose, the cat then left but has returned since. So things are looking up and with rain forecast this weekend I suspect the cat will be coming in even more.

coral13 Mon 22-Jul-19 10:45:11

@lovemusic33 That's great - I'm so happy for you!

(I deleted the mumsnet app but just logged in to see if you'd posted an updare!)

Lovemusic33 Mon 22-Jul-19 12:07:29

Thanks Coral ,the cats co img in more and more each day, yesterday he strolled in and ate some of the dogs diner and strolled out again, ddog just stood their looking mortified. He still won’t spend the night indoors but is happily walking in and out (past the dog). The dog has attempted to chase several times but I have managed to hold on to him or tell him ‘no’.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »