Talk

Advanced search

Aborting kittens while neutering

(8 Posts)
Qsandmore Thu 04-Jul-19 16:04:19

This is such a mean question to ask! But thinking I might take a cat and kitten on that need a new home. Have no pets at the moment and travel a lot but have a lot of space, rural location and neighbours to feed when I’m not here. Kids would love a pet.

BUT mum has been out since having the litter, so there is a chance she’s pg again. If I took them stop 1 would be vets for neutering and injections and fleas. If she were to be pg, would they abort? Feels cruel but don’t need more than the 2 and think it’s possibly better than another unwanted litter to home.

OP’s posts: |
Qsandmore Thu 04-Jul-19 16:05:38

Oh I say no pets, I have two horses grin Don’t count them as pets in the strict sense!!!

OP’s posts: |
Hairyheadphones Thu 04-Jul-19 16:09:51

My friend took her cat to be spayed, she call a call during the operation asking what they wanted her to do. Friend told them to carry on but wished they hadn’t told her!

Waveymaevey Thu 04-Jul-19 16:10:18

Absolutely fine to do - she may not be pregnant anyway and at an early stage they wouldn’t survive externally and there are too many cats who don’t have good quality of life to add more to the feline overpopulation.

viccat Thu 04-Jul-19 17:01:55

Yes, it happens all the time in rescue and as you say, as sad as it may seem it's better than adding to the huge cat overpopulation problem.

Some vet's will have different policies on this, in general most are fine to abort until the fetuses are viable. It gets a bit more complicated in late stage pregnancy so the sooner you can get her neutered, the better, every day counts.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 04-Jul-19 18:20:02

It’s not mean if it doesn’t harm them, it’s not like she’s choosing names and decorating a nursery is it?.

It’s just practical.

Lou573 Thu 04-Jul-19 18:27:21

Vets do this all the time

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 04-Jul-19 20:32:53

The cat I had (Rescue) years ago was neutered before she was homed to us.
She was 2yo and pregnant with her fourth litter sad. Poor little soul.

I was asked if we wanted her neutered if on the offchance she was pg and their vet was extremely surprised because she was so thin.

I had agreed (not wanting another litter of cats in the world and this little girl would've struggled )

Sge did unfortunately develop Cilliary Eczema (our vet reckoned due to the spaying ) but she lived to be 17yo, unbothered . (Treatment for the eczema varied from occasional steroids to omega oil)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in