Advanced search

Hand hold needed. My baby girl is in the vets after collapsing

(165 Posts)
cricketmum84 Sat 29-Jun-19 09:00:04

I have a beautiful baby girl cat, she's not quite 2 yet. She has single pawedly got me through the last year or so of MH issues just be being the best and most loving cat I've ever known. I love her more than most people.

She came in about 9pm last night and was a bit quiet and off her food. Came down this morning and she went to jump on the windowsill but couldn't get up, she then collapsed and couldn't walk and was trying to crawl away from me but couldn't get up.

I rushed her to the emergency vets, by which time she could walk again but seemed really dazed and confused. Normally at the vets she is constantly trying to climb up onto me and hide but she just laid on the table with her eyes half closed.

They have kept her in for observation and tests.

Please please keep everything crossed that she is going to be ok. I really don't think I could cope with losing her.

InglouriousBasterd Sun 30-Jun-19 00:53:56

Oh that’s heartbreaking, I’m so sorry. She’s so young flowers

Vinorosso74 Sun 30-Jun-19 08:27:29

Very unfair. I'm sorry flowers. She is a beautiful cat.

gwhizz75 Sun 30-Jun-19 10:06:14

Another positive story OP - our girl cat was diagnosed with very advanced kidney disease and had to stay in hospital for a couple of nights on fluids. She had lost lots of weight and we didn’t think she would survive for long at all. Here we are two and a half years later and she’s doing great. She has put on a kg in weight and shows no signs that she is poorly. We know this could change, but it goes to show that it’s really hard to predict how individual cats will cope with kidney disease.

Unfortunately she’s a very fussy eater and won’t eat any of the renal foods (we’ve tried god knows how many types). She won’t take pills and a liquid kidney medication she used to take made her sick all the time, meaning she never gained weight. So she’s basically unmedicated and eats whatever we can get her to eat and has still survived so much longer than we expected. There is definitely hope that your beautiful girl could have a much longer, happier and healthier life than the vets think flowers

madcatladyforever Sun 30-Jun-19 10:10:08

Oh poor little precious, I am so sorry OP. We love them and they love us unconditionally and it is so heartbreaking when this happens.
It isn't fair, so sad for you. Give your baby lots of hugs when she comes home flowers xxxxxx

cricketmum84 Sun 30-Jun-19 10:23:26

Thank you for the positive stories. They are bringing a little light into what feels like a very grim weekend.

Hoping to go and visit her today, just waiting on an update from the vets x

cricketmum84 Sun 30-Jun-19 12:57:15

We've been for cuddles this morning. She has eaten a little bit and used her tray again. We had a lovely half hour with a lot of head bumps and kisses and she really seem a lot better than yesterday. Her blood pressure has come back up to normal too.

It's now a waiting game on tomorrow mornings blood tests, if there is an improvement then she can come home and we would be looking at medication, renal food and regular blood tests, the prognosis of a year still stands.

If no improvement they are recommending we PTS. But after how she was today this doesn't seem right to me??

viccat Sun 30-Jun-19 13:09:04

Is it chronic renal disease she has, or acute kidney failure (such as from poisoning)?

cricketmum84 Sun 30-Jun-19 13:20:38

They don't think it's from poisoning. They think at the moment, because of her age, it must be a congenital thing.

Mumsymumphy Sun 30-Jun-19 13:22:51

After reading the success stories on here and after your description of your visit, I too am confused as to why they are saying PTS if no improvement?? You've seen the improvement with her eating, using tray and head bumps etc.

Bring her home and start on meds & special diet and then YOU decide if no improvement/quality of life.

LazyDaisey Sun 30-Jun-19 13:22:59

flowers thinking of your special girl.

viccat Sun 30-Jun-19 13:25:34

I would persevere with treatment too, renal cats can be very ill and bounce back to live happy, healthy lives for many months/years with the right treatment. Google Tanya's CRF website, there's lots and lots of advice.

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 30-Jun-19 13:26:15

Oh I'm so sorry, hope she pulls through and you have her a lot longer flowers

gwhizz75 Sun 30-Jun-19 13:39:11

I agree with what others have said - I would go off her behaviour/presentation rather than numbers from a blood test. Molly has had some very scary blood test results over the last couple of years but has never presented as unwell as she should according to her numbers. The vet said that some cats can just do very well with very little kidney function.

It will be hard to get a feel for how your girl will do longer term at the minute. She has been acutely unwell the past few days so I would think you’d need to give her some time to recover from that to see how she will be moving forwards.

I should also say that Molly’s blood results have fluctuated a lot, so sometimes the numbers would put her in stage 4, other times in stage 2 or 3. It doesn’t seem to be a straightforward downhill progression.

Iwouldratherbemuckingout Sun 30-Jun-19 13:43:20

We are all keeping our paws crossed for you here. So pleased she's shown some improvement. Wishing you both lots of luck xx

Icantreachthepretzels Sun 30-Jun-19 13:49:11

flowers cling to those good news stories and just treasure every moment with her. Remember it's YOUR decision whether to PTS or not - so if you think she can have quality of life then at least give her a chance, she could have a wonderful year left with you, she could have longer. Don't give up that opportunity for you and her if it doesn't feel right.
Fingers crossed her tests show improvement and you won't have to make the decision.

Sakura7 Sun 30-Jun-19 14:55:09

I should also say that Molly’s blood results have fluctuated a lot, so sometimes the numbers would put her in stage 4, other times in stage 2 or 3. It doesn’t seem to be a straightforward downhill progression.

This happened with my cat too (who also happens to be called Molly!). Certain things can elevate their readings, like when Molly had a UTI it caused her kidney results to look worse than they actually were. Next test they went back to normal.

If the vet recommends PTS, I really would go to a different vet for a second opinion. It doesnt sound right at all.

cricketmum84 Sun 30-Jun-19 20:39:40

We've been recommended to a different vet in the local area who specialises in kidney disease in cats so right now the plan is to discharge her from the original vets tomorrow regardless of blood results and then speak to specialist vets and ask them to review her notes and take her on as a patient.

Sakura7 Sun 30-Jun-19 20:59:43

That's good news OP. Bet you can't wait to get her home.

cricketmum84 Mon 01-Jul-19 10:54:16

Really not good news.

Creatinine levels should be under 140. Saturday Ivy's were 359, today they are 960.

Looks like we are losing herbtofayZ
My heart is breaking into pieces. I really can't cope with losing her,

cricketmum84 Mon 01-Jul-19 10:59:14

They think she might have been poisoned.

Jocasta2018 Mon 01-Jul-19 11:01:36

That's awful news. Big hug from here. Xx

Porridgeprincess Mon 01-Jul-19 11:02:04

My heart is breaking for you reading this. She is a beautiful cat

notapizzaeater Mon 01-Jul-19 11:04:37

Aww so sorry, are you still going to see the specialist?

Whathappenedtooursummer Mon 01-Jul-19 11:07:16

So sorry for the news op.

Thisizit Mon 01-Jul-19 11:12:19

Heartbreaking sad

I'm so sorry

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »