Talk

Advanced search

How to stop a kitten biting

(11 Posts)
showgirl Thu 06-Jun-19 22:46:03

Hi, hoping for some advice before this gets out of hand. We have a beautiful 13 week old female kitten who constantly bites us. Its mostly playful as in pouncing and batting with paws mostly in but it hurts. She has started it to my 5 year old son who is now scared of her. How do I get her to stop. A picture just so you can all see how beautiful she is.

OP’s posts: |
Walkamileinmyshoesbeforeujudge Thu 06-Jun-19 22:47:21

Ime supplying it with another dkitten is an amazing solution....

MadCatEnthusiast Thu 06-Jun-19 23:28:25

Distraction! Throw/get a toy when you can sense she's about to bite so she bites into that or plays with it.

mrsglowglow Thu 06-Jun-19 23:39:46

yes second the distraction idea. Our kitten does this but we bring out the toys (lots of them!) so he learns only to play with them and not our hands or feet or any other bits! 😂

SpoonBlender Thu 06-Jun-19 23:40:33

Wait about six months.

I'd also be wary of a 5yo DS with a kitten - DSs are often rubbish at being careful with them, so him being scared of her might be a good thing.

agnurse Fri 07-Jun-19 00:47:45

You can also stop petting her when she starts biting and gently say "No biting". This worked for Gatsby.

Incidentally your kitten reminds me a great deal of Gatsby - he is also a tabby.

showgirl Fri 07-Jun-19 05:47:29

Thanks. We have a lot of toys so will start carrying them around to try and distract her.

OP’s posts: |
Fluffycloudland77 Fri 07-Jun-19 06:32:30

Yep, distraction works. She’s practising her her hunting skills.

She is beautiful though.

Wolfiefan Fri 07-Jun-19 06:35:36

It’s what kittens do. I don’t know what you mean by get out of hand confused
A toy you can dangle away from you is a good thing. Feather on a string? Or something you can roll away from you.
Our two were bloody nightmares as kittens. Used to ambush us. A particular favourite was lying in wait to attack the kids as they came down the stairs. shock

Mia184 Fri 07-Jun-19 08:33:30

Ime supplying it with another dkitten is an amazing solution....

^ This. Your kitten is just being a normal kitten. Getting another kitten would be much better for her than any toy.

Grumpyoldpersonwithcats Fri 07-Jun-19 11:18:55

Another vote for another kitten. We've always got kittens in pairs (except for the time we got 3 grin), and they always play fight with each other.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in